Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP did seem to learn some lessons from the really awful 8500's; the 8600 series seems much better mechanically.  Though it does have this bad habit of going offline once in a while, especially after handling faxes. 

HP Recommended

I have two HP 8500 printinters given to me by customers with constant paper jam messages.  I have solved the mystery for the 2 printers I now own.  Please review my Youtube video and you will see where to look for the broken gear.

Just Google  "HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Paper Jam Mystery Solved" and view the YouTube Link

Thumbnail

Parts to repair these printers are unavailable from 3rd party parts distributors I contacted.

If anyone finds these parts available from HP or elsewhere, please leave me a message.

I will be happy to upload a video of the repair if I can get replacement gears.

HP Recommended

Paper Jam error when there is no paper jam.

{Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended
Here is a link that will assist you.
http://goo.gl/vxhuH

It may be a sensor that has gone bad within the printer that's causing the message.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

Some WD40 and a touch of a screwdriver and it is printing fine again! THANX!

HP Recommended

Its the little white gear if gets cracked it spins over the pin. Line it up on the pin bingo it works again.  Good advise would never figured it out.  I like this printer so it was a shame to throw out.  Good luck to all if problem is not the gear.

Cheers

HP Recommended
lube does help the cluch mech. but if the gear is not set in the pin on the shaft it will not work.
HP Recommended

It was a bad design that they eventually discontinued, but lots of people got stuck with it.  The next model has a neat problem of its own; after doing faxes it tends to take itself off line and needs to be power cycled.

HP Recommended

Pictures for people who want to know what to look for.PrinterHPhp2

HP Recommended
note it is broken but back on the torq srcew holding it in place. ill let everyone know how long it last back in position. So far 20 pages and counting.

cheers
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.