Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP envy 4500
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I am using Epson ultra premium photo paper (5X7, 79 lb. 11.8 mil)  and it continually jams in my HP envy 4500 printer. Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@salemquaker

Commentary

The nomenclature is perhaps confusing.  

I believe, without any evidence to support it, that the intent is to make use of a standardized format used for the Specification document.  

Paper tray capacities is used to describe several entities:  paper type (Media), number of pages of that type, the size of the paper, and the maximum weight of that paper type.  

Higher grade (more expensive) printers tend to handle a larger number of combinations for paper types, paper sizes, and paper weights.

Answer

From the User Guide, Page 89:

Paper weights

Plain Paper: 64 to 90 g/m² (16 to 24 lb)

Envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m² (20 to 24 lb)

Cards: Up to 200 g/m² (110-lb index maximum)

Photo Paper: Up to 280 g/m² (75 lb)

When you see a Post that helps, inspires, provides fresh insight,

or teaches you something new, click the Thumbs Up on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@salemquaker

The paper is heavier than the specifications allow for this paper size / type.

Paper tray capacities

Paper type
Paper weight
Input tray (maximum capacity)
Output tray*
Plain paper (sheets)
64 to 90 gms (16 to 24 lb)
Up to 50 (20 lb paper)
20 (20 lb paper)
Cards
200 gms (110 lb index max)
Up to 20
Envelopes
75 to 90 gms (20 to 24 lb)
Up to 5
13 x 18 cm (5 x 7 in) Photo paper
Up to 281 gms (75 lb)
Up to 20
10 x 15 cm (4 x 6 in) Photo paper
Up to 281 gms (75 lb)
Up to 20
216 x 279 mm (8.5 x 11 in) Photo paper
Up to 281 gms (75 lb)
Up to 20

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply. I noticed that the table is titled "paper tray capacities". I would have interpreted this to mean that with a 75 lb stock, 20 sheets in the paper input tray is the maximum. Does this also mean that the printer will not process anything heavier, no matter the number of sheets in the tray?

Thanks for clarifying.

Salemquaker

HP Recommended

@salemquaker

Commentary

The nomenclature is perhaps confusing.  

I believe, without any evidence to support it, that the intent is to make use of a standardized format used for the Specification document.  

Paper tray capacities is used to describe several entities:  paper type (Media), number of pages of that type, the size of the paper, and the maximum weight of that paper type.  

Higher grade (more expensive) printers tend to handle a larger number of combinations for paper types, paper sizes, and paper weights.

Answer

From the User Guide, Page 89:

Paper weights

Plain Paper: 64 to 90 g/m² (16 to 24 lb)

Envelopes: 75 to 90 g/m² (20 to 24 lb)

Cards: Up to 200 g/m² (110-lb index maximum)

Photo Paper: Up to 280 g/m² (75 lb)

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

That's very helpful. I'll try a lighter weight stock. Thanks so much for your help.

Salem Quaker

HP Recommended

You are most welcome, Salem.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.