Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
4440 All in One printer scanne
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Hi - getting a carriage stall error message and am wondering if there's any other fix I can try. When the printer is turned on, the carriage moves back and forth a few times before stalling on the right side. I've been able to print a test page from the system utility, but when it comes to printing a document, the carriage just stops (always on the right side).

Here's what I've already tried:

Turned it on and off many times, (waiting as long as a few hours before turning it back on).

Unplugged it several times (waiting before plugging back in).

Trashed printer from System Preferences, then re-installed.

Checked in the back and front for any paper stuck in there.

Took out cartridges and reinstalled them.

I've got an iMac os x 10.6.8

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have been through the troubleshooting steps above then cleaning the encoder strip may resolve the issue.  

One thing to check first - if you open the printer as if to change a cartridge, then pull out the power plug.  Now try moving the carriage back and forth.  Does the carriage move without obstruction?  If the carriage has resistance in moving then it may help to wipe any ink buildup off the carriage rod, then put one drop of a light oil like 3-in-one oil on each side of the carriage on the rod.  Move the carriage back and forth a few times to distribute the oil, then plug the printer back in, close the lid and turn it on.  Try printing a job now - does it still stop?  

If so then I would suggest cleaning the encoder strip.  Be sure to read all the directions and follow them carefully.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model?   There are a number of HP 4400 printers including the Officejet 4400, the Photosmart c4400 and Deskjet f4400.

If it is the Officejet 4400 or Deskjet f4400 the troubleshooting steps in the document here may help resolve the issue.  

You might try cleaning the encoder strip as shown in the post here.  The encoder strip is fragile, please read and heed the warnings.  Only use water to clean the strip, not alcohol or any other solvents as the fine lines printed on the strip are needed for proper operation of the printer.  Be gentle!

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob - thank you for responding. The exact model is HP Deskjet F4480- apologies for my initial inaccuracy. I also think I forgot to say it's a USB connection.

I've followed all the instructions in the video you recommend, but to no avail. The printer's buttons don't often work, but I was able to print using the utility in System Preferences.

I'll take a look at the encoder strip, if you think it's a possibility.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

If you have been through the troubleshooting steps above then cleaning the encoder strip may resolve the issue.  

One thing to check first - if you open the printer as if to change a cartridge, then pull out the power plug.  Now try moving the carriage back and forth.  Does the carriage move without obstruction?  If the carriage has resistance in moving then it may help to wipe any ink buildup off the carriage rod, then put one drop of a light oil like 3-in-one oil on each side of the carriage on the rod.  Move the carriage back and forth a few times to distribute the oil, then plug the printer back in, close the lid and turn it on.  Try printing a job now - does it still stop?  

If so then I would suggest cleaning the encoder strip.  Be sure to read all the directions and follow them carefully.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help. I'm very happy to have my printer working again!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.