Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought an HP Photosmart 5514 and installed it. I'm currently having wireless issues at home so I connected with a usb cable. When printing a document from Microsoft Word in landscape mode with a .6 inch margin n the left and right sides, the printer printed with 1 inch magins. This document is used for three folded flyers and the extra margins put everything off center after folding. Don't know why this happened or how to correct it.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi there randyclark,

This article may help you GO HERE  

Let me know if you need further assistance I will do my best to help you.

Hope this helps;

RobertoR 

Man LOLAnd Remember . . .

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

Since my last post I have found that the extra margin problem is only with duplex printing. If I only print one side or manually turn the page over it prints fine. But with automatic duplex printing an extra half inch is added to the margin on both sides. Is there a correction for this?

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem in not only Microsoft Word, but essentially any program (e.g. Acrobat). When printing in automatic duplex mode, there is a significant extra margin.  (the problem is not that which RobertoR describes)

The "solution" in Word is to use manual duplex. But in other programs where that is not an option (e.g. my version of Adobe Acrobat), there does not appear to be anyway to avoid this problem.

HP, is this a driver issue? Any solution??

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with an HP Photosmart 5510 on my Windows 8 Laptop - I haven't tried it on Windows 7 as ink is far too expensive and I've already wasted 10 prints!

Thanks to this post, I tried 'manual' duplex and my document is now foldable down the middle in the same way it has been for the last 5 years!

I am currently using Office 2013 Preview and the document I am printing is in .doc format.

I attempted to convert the document to .docx and encountered even more printing issues.

I converted it to .pdf and experienced the same issue printing from Adobe Reader XI.

If I attempt automatic duplex printing in Word 2013, I get a message saying the margins are outside the printable region. I've tried everything I can think of to change the margins, reformat the document, etc and I still get the same issue - Word Preview is perfectly aligned, but when the page is printed it is shifted to the left by about an inch (which skews the fold in the middle).

I have the latest drivers - I just checked. The printer is Network attached over wireless via my router.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue... has anyone tried upgrading to firmware 2.0? I have it on a wireless network and I have no idea where the usb cable is that I need to flash the printer with.

HP Recommended

@giorov - do you have the same printer as randyclark?  What computer are you printing from as well (ex. Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac, etc)?

@randyclark - I want to make sure I can guide you to the correct place to make margin changes.  What kind of computer are you using?  Where did you originally adjust the margins at (on the print screen from Word, in the document, or in the printer preferences)?

I know quite a few people have problems with margins when trying to print from a computer that doesn't have the printer's drivers installed.  Answer those questions for me please and in the meantime, here is a document from Microsoft title Printer Settings Are Ignored.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

@ yes we're all talking about the same printer here. I'm running windows 8 and I'm connected through the network to the printer. I have the latest drivers and software, I can assure you. Text is smaller and margins wider, only while duplexing.

HP Recommended

Hopefully this will help: "Changing Print Settings in Windows 8"

Are you also trying to print in landscape and what margin settings are you trying to achieve?

Did you ever get a chance to update the printer's firmware (link is for a Windows 8 64bit computer)? I know it prefers a USB connection but you can also update the printer by pressing the ePrint button and then selecting "settings."  There you should be able to check for product updates.  However, it only addresses miscellaneous defects and not the margins in particular.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if that document above is of any assistance at all.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

ok well I ran out of black ink so I won't be able to do any testing until I get a new cartridge

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.