02-12-2012 10:04 AM
my printer suddenly stopped printing saying printer needed to be installed although it was still there under printers. would not let me reset as default printer. have reinstalled and printed test page but still will not set as default. when i try and print, still says install printer. any advice welcome. thanks.
02-12-2012 01:27 PM
Well, do what it says. Smiling.
You can try a Reset on the printer, and if that doesn't work, you will probably have to reinstall the software that runs it. Depending on your Operating System, you may find just a basic driver, or best! The Full Feature Software for your printer at your printer's website. At the website, down at the bottom of the selection list, there may be a chance to download a diagnostic utility to help you figure out what went wrong, and maybe even a Printer Wizard that will go back to the website grab the software, download, and install it for you.
Reset the printer
Here are two kinds - which one you can use depends on what you printer looks like...
1) If there is a keypad on the printer, turn it off, then on and press # and 6 (keep pressed while turning on printer).
2) No keypad? Unplug while on, leave unplugged 30 seconds to a minute. Plug back in. (Be careful with this one - don't risk shock.)
(Re)install the basic driver or Full Feature Software:
Drivers control hardware connected to the computer (wired or wireless).
Software controls the programs that interact with the User.
- Go to the top of the forum page to Support and Drivers
- Enter your Printer Model information, and then go to Software and Drivers...
- Enter your Operating System in the Drop-down menu... Scroll down
- Look for category Driver - Product Installation Software
- Select the appropriate Basic Driver or Full Feature Software – if available for your printer Save the *.exe installation package on your computer -
- NOTE the name and the location - the *.exe file will likely save to "Downloads “Install the Software / Driver installation package: It will be named *.exe – the package will most likely be located in the Downloads folder. If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.
NOTE: There is sometimes a lot of information at the printer’s website. Be sure to take an extended look at what’s available. Manuals, How-to help, Alerts, Troubleshooting help...
I hope this helps!
It is my pleasure to assist.
Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.
Fixed? Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.
Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.
- Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10
- Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)