Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp envoy 5044
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

When I print a photo from my docs, it prints a photo on A4 ordinary paper and not on the 6x4 photo paper in the photo compartment of my printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@vancough

I suspect part of the issue is that I am failing to ask the right question(s).  Mutter, grumble.

The Full Feature Software installation:

After the initial installation of the program , the final connection and setup for the Printer program continues (and finishes) after the program asks you to Restart the computer.  Without that final "push" to complete the setup, I am not at all sure the program would install completely.

I am unsure the cause - it seems as if the program is losing connection.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, remind me --

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGWhich program are you using to print the 4X6 photo?

Print - Programs_and_Methods     

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGHave you assigned a static IP address for (at least) the printer?

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGConsider setting the router channel to 6 or 11 (as opposed to "Auto")

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGThese programs (free) provide information about who and what is connected to your network.

From Nirsoft

Wireless Network Watcher v1.70                              WifiInfoView v1.95

While the information does not really give you an answer to resolving the printer program installation or tray issue, everything helps when you are looking to fill in the gaps.  In particular, it is nice to have a "map" of the wireless connections as seen from your computer.

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGThe condition of the network is (of course) important; do consider (if not already done) that the relative condition of your Operating System impacts installations and how programs interact and intregate into the File System.

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPGEnsure Windows Updates are current: Check / Run Windows Updates

Bullet_Arrow_1.JPGEnsure HP Drivers (or other vendor's Drivers) are installed - check the Device Manager for "missing" drivers (small yellow triangle Yellow_Status.png  next to driver name)

Bullet_Arrow_2.JPGIf you have not yet done so, restart everything thing - including the router

Install Full Feature Software – Printer

Section Restart Everything

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@vancough

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Product Name: hp envoy 5044
   Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
@vancough wrote:

When I print a photo from my docs, it prints a photo on A4 ordinary paper and not on the 6x4 photo paper in the photo compartment of my printer.

I cannot find the HP Envy 5044 printer -- perhaps it is a model available in a market outside the USA.  ?

In general, the settings to print on photo paper include (at least) the printer selection and Printing Preferences:

• Tray Assignment (depending on model)
  • Media type (kind of paper)
  • Paper Size
  • Image source (from which program / image the print job is generated)

A great deal depends on your Printer's Full Feature Software ** (printer program), the model of printer, and the program you are using to submit the print job to the printer.

** Reference:  Install Full Feature Software – Printer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a several ways to test the image printing setup.

Each of the following helps pre-set the necessary options to simplify the print request:

• Print the (saved) image using Windows Photo Viewer
  • Print the image using Paint
  • Print the image using Photo Creations (free version)

Help, suggestions, and examples:

Print - Programs_and_Methods     

Sections include:

• Photo Creations for Windows and Mac
  • Printing with Paint
  • Printing Photos with Windows Photo Viewer for Windows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are printing the image from within a program or from your browser, you can use Print Preview to assess the print and to reach the required Printing Preferences (wherein you can select the necessary setups for Tray, Media, Source, and Size).

Reference:

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon fur, many thanks for your help. The HP envy 5540 is an all in one printer here in Britain. I did mention in another post that in the device settings that the "photo tray installed" seems greyed off. The other device settings are in black. I was wondering if the greyed off "photo tray installed" being greyed off would prevent me from printing photos from the photo tray. I will look into the things you suggested. I'm not the brightest lamp in the street when it comes to this sort of thing 🙂 I'm very grateful for your help.

HP Recommended

@vancough

Right:

HP ENVY 5544 All-in-One Printer

OK -- greyed out, that is, "not happening", might indicate:

• You need to reinstall the Full Feature Software from a fresh copy downloaded from the printer's Driver page.

• The particular paper type is not appropriate for the photo tray -- perhaps the setting objects to the type, weight, brand of photo paper.  This is less likely as long as you not using photo paper for a laser printer or the cheapest photo paper you could find.

User Guide

Paper Basics, Page 7

• The paper might be wrong-way-'round.  Be sure to place the paper in the tray with the short end facing you as you look at the front of the printer.  Also:  Print side down.

User Guide

Load Media >> Chapter 2, Page 10

• You missed one or more of the settings that are needed to allow the Tray setting.

HP ENVY 5540, Deskjet 5570, and Officejet 5740 Printers - Printing Photos

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, I've only had the printer new a few days.. I tried to reinstall software from the printers page, but that didn't seem to do anything. The greyed out photo tray is still there. I'm using the hp photo paper that came with the printer. I even deleted all of the hp printer, and tried on the hp site do download it all as if I'd lost the cd but that only went so far and stopped when it was checking my computor. It said that I would have to wait 4 minutes, I waited 20 minutes, to no avail. I'm stuck on what to do. The printer works perfect for everthing. I don't need anything multi technical, just a printer that will print 6x4 photos and print text on a A4 sheet and copy and scan things. I'm wondering if there is a fault on the printer and whether or not I should return it. I wouldn't like to get a replacement that had the same problem. I'm really grateful for your help.

HP Recommended

@vancough

You won't be able to use all the printer's nice features without having installed the Full Feature Software.  That you are unable to install the printer program is likely at the source of the issue.

What to do?

1. If you are installing the printer USB, the steps are different than that of installing the printer wirelessly.
  2. The following assumes you are connecting the Printer to use standard Wireless or Wireless Direct.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the installation is hanging when seeking the printer on the network.

The procedure described below explains what to do when the driver software cannot find the printer on the network:

HP Printers - Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Windows)

Perhaps the installation is hanging during the Network Check.

The procedure described below includes steps to Reset Winsock on the computer:

HP Printers - The Network Installation Hangs on the 'Checking Network Environment' Screen

More troubleshooting help from your printer's Support Pages

HP ENVY 5544 All-in-One Printer Troubleshooting >

Printer Setup, Installation and Updates > Setup, Install & Connect Printer

Another Try:

• Remove the "bits" of printer program(s) from Programs and Features
  • Restart / Reboot the computer and log in
  • Ensure that Windows Updates are current:  Check / run Windows Updates for "important" updates.  In almost all cases, you can ignore "Optional" Updates -- most of us do not need these
  • If Windows Updates makes any changes:  After the Updates complete > Restart / Reboot the computer and log in
  • If you like, create another Restore Point
  • Prepare the network for your printer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Option > Standard Wireless setup (uses a router):

In general, you want to set up the printer on your Wireless Network before you install the printer software.  You input the necessary wireless setup for the printer using the printer's front panel.

The User Guide explains the wireless setup procedure in Chapter 7, Pages 58-59

HP Printers - Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Windows)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Option > Static IP Address setup for printer (uses a router):

The use of a Static IP Address can improve / provide stability in your wireless network.

Wireless

Static IP Address for Printer

Option > Static IP Address setup for computer (uses a router)

If you like, you can create a Static IP Address for the computer (as well as the printer). 

Settings to Improve Wireless Connectivity

Section(s) include:

• Wifi Power Management
  • Notebook wireless balks or won’t run when running on battery
  • Static IP Address
  • Create TCP/IP Port

Option > Wireless Direct (No router)

Wi-Fi Direct is Wireless without the need for a router between the printer and the computer.

The User Guide, Chapter 7, Page 60 explains the setup required to use Wireless Direct.

NOTES:

• Wireless Direct and standard Wireless are NOT compatible -- you can use one or the other but not both at once
  • The Wireless Direct setting on the front panel of the printer might lie to you about its status.  Ensure that the setting is actually Enabled / Disabled by toggling the setting.

===========================================================

Check printer on network (Ping command method):

Windows key > type / search cmd > Right-Click Run as Administrator
In cmd window > type:  Ping <ip-address-of-your-printer>

Example:

cmd line: Ping 192.168.2.15

===========================================================

When everything checks out >>

• The printer wireless setup is complete,
  • Printer Test Page provides the appropriate information,
  • The computer can ping the printer,

Try the installation again...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Next:

Your new printer provides for Phone Support with HP!

See the User Guide, Chapter 8, Page 90 for details.

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts - USA / Canada

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Tech support/ Customer Service – Some English Speaking Countries

Including UK and Europe

From a post by @Sunshyn2005, to contact HP Support :

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter your computer's Product Number OR select Auto Detect
Step 3. Scroll down, find: "Still need help?  Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down, Click HP contact options > Click Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear on screen.

Warranty Service: Care Pack and HP Total Care

Total Care for your HP notebook - Warranty

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, let me 1st say that re the greyed out "install photo tray" Well maybe that's not relevent. Because when I was messing with printing photos. I clicked print and then help, it gave some info. so I thought I would print it, when I printed it, it printed it in the 6x4 photo tray and on the photo paper, instead of the ordinary A4 paper, so at least the printing tray is working. I tried installing my printer on wireless, by pressing the wps button on my router and it connected alright, then it went on about a wps password, that's where I got stuck. The printer wasn't showing in devices and printers, so then I installed it by cable and that's the position I'm in now. I will continue trying what you have said, although quite a bit of it is going over my head. Thanks very much for the help you are giving me and thank you for your patence.

HP Recommended

Hi. I just noticed on my very 1st post on this topic. I have my printer as hp envy 5044 when it is in fact a hp envy 5540. DUH !! I'm so sorry about that.   :indifferent:

HP Recommended

@vancough

Perhaps the following will help:

HP ENVY 5540, DeskJet 5570 Printers - Wireless Printer Setup

You will want to disconnect the USB cable before you perform this procedure -- the process includes downloading the printer software and the instructions to connect Wirelessly.

Partial Excerpt:

Step 1: Automatically download the printer software and connect to your wireless network

Go to 123.hp.com/envy5540 , and then follow the on-screen instructions to automatically download the printer software and connect to the wireless network.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The standard wireless setup is not difficult although you do need to know your network's SSID (name of network) and the password (used to log into your network).

How to find your wireless network password

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Many thanks Dragon-fur. I will give it a try over the next few days.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.