Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Im on my second printer using instant ink. When i bought the first one about 18 months ago I took out an instant ink contract, and i thought that  it didnt formally commence until I installed the ink cartridges sent to me i.e. after I had used up the ones that were installed in my printer when i bought it ( I.e I had paid for them as part of the printer package).

A month or so ago this first printer stopped working and I returned it to JohnLewis under its two year warranty. I was after told HP dont repair them over a year old, and was given a refund, and purchased a replacement

I c.ancelled my first printer, and set up instank ink for my new one. The new one also came with three free months of  instant ink.

I assumed nothing would start until i installed the instant ink cartridges which were sent out within a week or so.

I notice my account shows me receiving 'free months' already, and my contract has started.

As Im still using the catridges which came with the printer itself, these are not FREE months as I have already paid for these within the price of the printer.

Further, if i go beyond the first three months, before needing to install the instank ink cartridges, i will presumably start getting charged £1.99 a month, for the ink which I have already paid for once, in the price of the printer.

My contract , including my three months, should not start until I actually start using the instant ink cartridges

several attempts to contact customer support have failed miserably.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey gws1,

Thanks for reaching out!

I understand that you're concerned over when your Instant Ink service starts on your HP ENVY 5540. I'd like to help! 🙂

If you find the information below helpful, you can click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks!"

Typically, the HP Instant Ink service will not start on your printer until the first Instant Ink cartridge has been installed. However, some printer's, like the HP ENVY 5540 come Instant Ink ready with trial Instant Ink cartridges. Once you agree to use the HP Instant Ink service those trial cartridges become active Instant Ink cartridges and your service begins. 

I'd like to take a look at your account to make sure everything is in order. I've sent you a private message. See here for help with checking your messages: How to check your messages

Christina - HP Instant Ink Support 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey gws1,

Thanks for reaching out!

I understand that you're concerned over when your Instant Ink service starts on your HP ENVY 5540. I'd like to help! 🙂

If you find the information below helpful, you can click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks!"

Typically, the HP Instant Ink service will not start on your printer until the first Instant Ink cartridge has been installed. However, some printer's, like the HP ENVY 5540 come Instant Ink ready with trial Instant Ink cartridges. Once you agree to use the HP Instant Ink service those trial cartridges become active Instant Ink cartridges and your service begins. 

I'd like to take a look at your account to make sure everything is in order. I've sent you a private message. See here for help with checking your messages: How to check your messages

Christina - HP Instant Ink Support 

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.