Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi PCWizard:

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I followed every step, you suggested, but I still get the same error message saying "The HP Imaging device was not found". It then goes on to suggest turning printer off, rebooting computer, reinstalling device driver and reinstalling Photosmart software.  The message appears just as the installation is complete, without me even attempting to scan. The message has an error code of;

8, [(1,0,-2147221500)]. I attempted to scan but the scan program freezes after pressing the "Scan picture" button. Any further suggestions will be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi smith6806,

How are you connecting the printer to your computer (Ethernet, Wireless or USB)?

Try installing the printer on a different computer, and let me know if you experience the same issues?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi PcWizard:

The printer is connected by a USB cable.  I have tried a different cable but continue to have the same problem.

I installed the HP Print & Scan Doctor but when you select repairing the scan option, the program freezes at Driver Check.  A message later says that there is no communication with the imaging device.

My previous home laptop, was able to scan with the Photosmart device.  I will have to bring my work laptop home to check if another computer can scan.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi smith6806,

Thank you for the update. It sounds like you may have some issues on this computers operating system or a program which is causing issues with the software. Let me know if you are able to scan using Microsoft Paint or Windows fax and scan?

Let me know if you are successfully able to install the printer on your work laptop?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I am not able to scan using Paint or Windows Fax & Scan.

I will try to scan with my work laptop during lunch and get back with you.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I have also complained about this problem for months without any resolution.  No one had suggested Windows Fax and Scan.  It works on my system but I can't figure out how to put together several pages. 

How do I debug this further?

Jon

HP Recommended

Hi smith6806,

Try the steps below, and then let me know if you are able to scan from Microsoft Paint or Windows Fax and Scan?

Let me know what you find out on your work laptop?

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:
1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files
2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition
3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure
4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:
1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.
2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).
3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.
4. 2 services should be listed.
5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.
7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.
8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.
9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.
10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error. This should fix your problem

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi JonCowan,

Ok, when we left off you were able to install this printer on a different computer without experiencing the same issues.

Have you tried using a new USB cable?

Since the printer is working ok from a different computer this is an indication that the printer is working ok, and you have something in the operating system or a internet security / firewall program blocking the installation from being successful.

Follow the steps below, and let me know what happens?

Step one: Clear temp directory

1. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field
  2. Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).
  3. Continue with Step 2 below

Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-66918-4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.

3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation or click "Exit" when the install screen appears. This will depend on which software version you are using.

4. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field

5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy

7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.

8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop

9. Open folder Util

10. Open folder CCC

11. Run the uninstall_L4

12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

13. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools folder under all programs

14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Let me know if you are able to successfully install the software and driver, and are able to print & scan?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

PCWizard:

SUCCESS!!!!!!! Followed your instructions and now I can use the scanner.  I also confirmed that I can scan through Paint and Windows Fax and Scan, besides HP Solutions.

Thank you very much for your patience, detailed instructions and prompt responses.  

Your assistance will keep me an HP customer in the future.

Very truly,

Dave Smith

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

AWESOME, so glad to hear you have it all working again. Have a wonderful weekend.

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.