01-11-2011 12:31 PM
I am able to scan and to use fax and copier, but I keep getting an error message when I try to print anything from my computer (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.6.6). I talked to tech support at Applecare and they spent an hour and a half with checking out the connections with me as well as re-installing the program.. said everything was ok on the Mac side, but I needed to talk to hp as they suspected a problem with the driver. I then downloaded driver.. but that didn't help the problem. I called tech support at hp.. they said they would need to charge me to work with me and tried to convince me that I should just turn it in and buy a new hp all in one printer. Can you help? Is there anything else I can do??
01-11-2011 12:48 PM
The error message is:
first, there's a red circle that appears with the number one (or two if I try to print twice) on the icon of the printer on my desktop (on the bar with all the icons/apps at the bottom of my computer). Once I click on the red circle, a window opens that says hp officejet 5500 series (2 jobs) but under status it has a small arrow and says "error".
Any ideas what's wrong?
01-11-2011 01:11 PM
It appears that there is something that is not quite right with the driver. I hesitate to do a lot, since the unit is working as it is. However, we can try a few things.
1. Go to HDD/Utilties/Disk Utility, repair disk permissions. That simple utility fixes a lot of weird errors that crop up.
2. Delete the printer queue, and then readd.
3. If we still have the issue, you can try resetting tegh printing system and than readding the Officejet.
01-11-2011 09:11 PM
By printer queue do you mean deleting the list of jobs in the printer's menu? If so, thats been done and has no effect. Do you mean deleting the printers that are recognized by the computer?
01-11-2011 09:14 PM
Delete any jobs in the queue, and than delete the printer queue itself. It will be listed on the left side of the Print and Fax window.
01-11-2011 09:25 PM
We have deleted and readded the officejet multiple times and it still isn't working. It's not printing a test page either. We repaired disk permissions and that didn't seem to help.
01-11-2011 10:11 PM
I did it.. reset the printing system and then re-added the printer. It still has error message when I try to print a test page.. but noticed when I readded the printer, it said that some of the software is missing. I don't understand if that's the problem.
any other suggestions?
- Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- Printer Problems after Upgrading to Windows 10
- Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 10)