Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

OK, download and install this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-97413-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Ok, I did that. 

Everything seemed to be going along nicely, even though it still would not find the printer unless plugged into the USB port. However, the installation said that might be the case and to just keep going.

After the installation I followed the directions the instructions said that my wireless was configured correctly and asked if I wanted to keep those settings. I said yes. Then I was instructed to disconnect the USB cable and got this:

"Device Not Found on Network

The wireless network settings were successfuly downloaded to your device. However, your Mac was unable to locate the device on the network. 

Please make sure that:

Your Mac is connected to a wired or wireless network that has access to your device. (It was.)

Your device is connected to the wireless network "Name of my wireless network here"

Click "Retry" to attempt to connect again useing the currebt settings. Click "Go Back" to enter different settings."

I might add here that my daughter was never able to set it up so that her Mac worked with the wireless printer.

My husband was but  his no longer works wirelessly either...it stopped around the same time mine did.

They both have Snow Leopard OS. I am the only one that upgraded.

HP Recommended

Let's pick on the router:

1. Restart it by pulling its power plug momentarily.

2. Change the channel to 11.

3. Make sure that 802.11g mode is enabled.

4. Do not use WEP (use WPA or WPA2 instead).

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Well, I tried to do as suggested. Here's the lowdown on that:

It was set to WPA2, so nothing to be done there.

As to the 802.1, I got a box wherein none of the data for the profile was present, with a message that said, "Use a configuration proflie to add an 802.1 profile to your system. Contact your system administrator for more info."

I'm at a loss re: the channel 11 thing. I found nothing for channels under any of the tabs. While I am fairly adept at following the instructions of the technically savvy, I myself am technically challenged. I may need more direction on that. 

Still, I attemped to print wirelessly and I got the conflicting messages (in the same box/window no less)  'printer is ready' and under that, 'printer is offline' and 'printer is not connected'. 

HP Recommended

OK, sorry that may have not have contained enough info for you.

The settings I am referring to are in your router, so you need to get into the router settings to do this.  You can either use the router CD or you can use your web browser.  If you want to do the latter, type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar (not the Google bar).  It will ask for a login and password.  Leave the login blank and the password is 'admin'.

Now, navigate to the Wireless tab and make sure that 802.11g mode is enabled (along with others is fine).  Change the channel to 11.  Click Apply settings.

Now, go to the front of your printer and go to Wireless > Wireless Setup WIzard.  Run the wizard to connect your printer to your network.

After that is successful, reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I'm going to try to find the CD that might have come with the router, but I thought I'd share that I attempted this through Safari, Firefox and Chrome, but none allowed me access. I did get the password prompt, but got a 404 message on all of them when I entered info as directed.

Oh, and my husband just tried to send something to the printer wirelessly and still got nothing either. 

I'll report back after the CD trick is attemped. <Keeping fingers crossed your wisdom conquers the accursed printer/router duo.>

HP Recommended

What I found for the Cisco was a 'key' (USB thumb drive) for set up. 

Ultimately I was able to run Wireless Network Test Results from the HP.

The report is as follows (minuse security info):

No problems found. Congratulations on the successful set up of your wireless printer.

Wireless On..........pass

Wireless working........pass

signal qualtiy......excellent

Connected.......pass

disconnect count total.......3

disconnect count last hour.....1

disconnect count last 24 hours.......1

Network name (SSID) found....pass

Nother networks detected matching your network name (SSID) .....no

wirless networks detected.......10

Printer seetings consistent with wireless router settings....pass

no flitering....pass

channel.....11

security.....pass

under current configureation, it has the correct ID for my wireless router

It has a hardware address for MAC

the IP address is the what what you asked me to type into the address bar, except there are two additional numbers after the final '1'

authentication is WPA as per earlier instructions

Every other wireless device in the house is working with the router set as is. But the printer still keeps giving us the same message that it is offline, even though it is on and indicating that it is picking up signal.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for that.  Here are some things I notice from your Wireless Network Test:

1. 10 wireless networks are detected.  That is a lot, so that tells me your environment is very noisy with respect to wifi.

2. Your channel is set to 11.  If it has been that way all along,  perhaps 11 is very busy in your area.  Use the Cisco key to set it to channel 1.

You did not post it, but are you sure the printer is connected to YOUR network?  If your router has a guest network make sure it is not connected to the guest network.

What model Cisco is it?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

It is an M20.

Yes, it is connected to my network, not another that's available nor my own guest network.

When I try to use the key, all I get are 'read' files (manual, license agreement, etc.). Valet does not show up. I tried to connect with Cisco in a live chat to ask why, and they tell me my device is no longer under warrenty and I need to pick my price for assistance. 

I explained I don't need to troubleshoot a defective device, I just need to be told where this Valet is, and why this option does not show up as pictured in the manual. I was directed to type in the number in the browser that you suggested, using the 'Valet' name and password. Then I lost them. So I have to try to figure that out. 

HP Recommended

Well, I've made progress at least. 

I was able to access the Cisco page using the 191...in the browser. 

Going through all the tabs and subtabs, I still see no way to set the channel. I can see it is set at 11, but there seems to be no way to change it. 

There is a 'reboot' option, and 'backup configurations' and 'restore configurations'. 

Sigh. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.