Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Every time I turn on to use my hp photosmart printer (once a month) it seems to have new problems.

Low on ink, replace ink, or ink out of date **bleep**

I buy a brand new ink cartridge and I print 1-2 sheets and the next time I turn on the printer the INK is low again.

Someone help me, this is ridiculous and getting way out of hand, I've purchased around 4 inks now and I know for sure the inks are not low as I haven't printed anything.

A disgruntled customer.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
I have exactly the same problem.

I have tried leaving it switched on but this hasn't helped.
HP Recommended

i am facing the same problem with B110a. I just replaced all the colors and black cartridges (original HP catridges),  and printed 2 pages. A month later, it says its out of ink for all the catridges. At first it prompted 2 colors, then after "preparing", it prompted more colors. And the "preparation" could repeat a few times. i could finish listening a song and it's still 'preparing'.

Can HP support reply and advise on this problem? I do not wish to replace new cartridges and still face the same problem. It's an expensive error!

HP Recommended

My new B110a ran out of black ink after maybe 7 or 8 pages of printed word documents and after changing the black cartridge the blacks didn't print so I ran the printhead cleaner and all the colour cartridges ran out so I had to replace them as well.

Then I ran the print head cleaner again and again ALL the ink levels showed I was running low! 

This is ridiculous!! Isn't the estimated prints supposed to be about 200 per cartridge!?

HP Recommended

Hi Yolande,

It is very hard to diagnose a problem without seeing exactly what you're doing. However, here are a few ideas.

The problem could be how the printer is turned off. When you use the power button, it gives the printer a chance to "park" the print carriage which holds the cartridges in a position that covers the nozzles and keeps the ink from drying and clogging things up. If the printer is turned off with a power strip or the like, the cartridges can dry out and the printhead nozzles clog.

It could be bad cartridges, that can happen, even with genuine HP ones. Perfectly good ones can go bad if they were shipped or stored improperly, exposed to extreme temperatures, or where damaged. Fortunately, HP has a warranty for its cartridges, so you might be able to get replacements, if the problem was the cartridges:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00206040

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

Hi Lazrico,

Sorry you're having these problems! Please read the answer above for some information about the cartridge warranty for HP cartridges and use it if it applies. Your original problem might have been a bad black cartridge?

Can you set the print settings to a lower quality print to save ink? Draft printing uses less ink and also prints faster.

The printhead cleaner does use up ink since the only way the printer has to do the cleaning is to spit ink though the nozzles to get the clogs out. Several cleanings would use quite a bit of ink.

A further note you and the first two posters (who might have the same printer? They didn't say), A printer that isn't used too often will have to use some ink to keep the nozzles clear. Without the automatic printhead cleaning that the machine goes through, the printhead could be permanently damaged. Unfortunately, that will use up some of your ink.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my HP Wireless Photosmart printer...haven't used it that much, yet it is low on ink...replaced the black cartridge and even that is having issues printing out...this is frustrating.

HP Recommended

Hi Helpme1000,

That is frustrating. However, since there aren't many details, I'm not sure what the problem is. Check out some of the other answers above for ideas.

If there is an actual problem with your particular printer (it happens, even though we try very hard to prevent that), HP has a good warranty for its printers and the cartridges themselves.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
HP Recommended

I have changed all the ink cartridges one by one over the past few month  but still get  one coming up empty and the new ones showing almost empty. Clearly the measuring device is faulty, no?  I have cleaned under the printer carriage with methylated spirits.

There seems to be no point at which it works properly- leaving aside the huge cost per sheet of paper printed.

I regret having bought two of these machines - one for my wife.

HP Recommended

It's nothing wrong with the printer for I have had my printer a while and it just started doing this.  I suggest a class action suit against HP for a virus that is hitting computers in an effort for you to buy more ink or the ink by mail

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.