Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am using a HP Officejet 4500 Wireless all-in-one printer and my computer is an iMac with OSX 10.6.8. Today I  tried

to print addresses on envelopes. My printer would feed the envelopes in with two short "pulls" and stop. Then the exclamation

mark on the control panel would light up and I would get a empty paper tray error message. After several failed attempts,

I was even unable to print 81/2''x11'' paper, until I disconnected the printer and let it restart. I have printed envelopes, although infrequently, and haven't had a problem before. I make sure that the appropriate-sized envelope is selected in "page setup" before attempting to print.

By the way, although I have recently  installed a wireless router, I don't use the wireless mode to operate either my desktop computer or the printer.

I tried to access on-line assistance, but couldn't get the process to accept my serial # and FPU # that are clearly shown

on the back of my printer. I believe my printer is still under warranty. But be that as it may, can someone please provide

assistance in dealing with this problem? I'm at a loss to proceed any further. Thanks for any help that may be offered.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, please clarify which program you are printing from, and did you set the Printing paper size according from your Mac?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

As we continue this dialogue here are the answers to your 2-part question:

1. I used the "envelope template" which is part of Apples Pages word processing software, v. 9.

2. Before I tried to print, I clicked on "page setup" and made sure that I selected the size of envelope

I would be printing – before I selected the print command.

The  printer pulled the envelop forward but didn't pick it up and into the print track.  Thanks for your

clarifying questions. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, and am disappointed that no one has replied with a fix.

HP Recommended

gerregan,

I finally endured the hassle of making a phone call to HP support. Couldn't use on-line options because even though my printer is still in warranty, I couldn't get the sign-in process to recognize my serial number. After several hours of  trouble-shooting with the Mac folks at HP, the decision was that the rollers on my printer were misaligned and would not realign.

My in-warranty printer was replaced and the envelope problem was solved.

A problem with roller alignment (not software) might be why you are experiencing the problem with getting envelopes

to feed and print. But hesitate to generalize to your difficulty. Hope you have success in getting your printer fixed!

HP Recommended

I have a HP4500 . The envelope will only feed part way and stop.  It says printing but there is nothing there

HP Recommended

My HP 4500 Wireless printed envelopes perfectly with my old PC using XP Pro and Word 97, hard-wired. Using new PC, with Windows 7, Word 2010 and Wireless connection, printer wil not feed envelopes. Starts to feed envelope, then stops with exclamation point and "Load paper".

Could someone please tell me if they know of a fix?

HP Recommended

Hi folks,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue, I would like to help. Use Envelopes Partially Print or Print in Wrong Location When Using Microsoft Word.

You may find more detailed information in 'Paper Mismatch,' or 'Paper Size Mismatch' Error Message Displays When Printing in Microsoft Word. With this document you can select envelopes and choose the version of Word you are using. Disregard the title of the document as the steps listed are applicable to the issue you are experiencing.

Hope this helps.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

My HP Laser Jet Pro 400 MFP will not print envelopes.  When I insert and envelope, the addressee and return address are printed on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Woody99

HP Recommended

I had a problem with envelopes not feeding though they used to. I don't print envelopes often. I finally remembered that I recently bought new envelopes, They are security envelopes that are a little thicker than standard envelopes. I changed the "paper type" to "matte brochure". The envelopes now feed and print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.