Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had an HP 8620 printer. It was connected to my desktop with a USB cable.  It printed fine (via wireless direct) from both my own laptop and my son's laptop.   Both laptops seemed to detect the printer automatically and all we had to do was set up the print job and click print.   That printer was defective and I returned it for another 8620.  Now our laptops do not detect the printer automatically via wireless direct when we set up our print jobs. We have to disconnect from our wrieless router, and  connect to the printer manually  (by searching for available wireless network connections) and then print.  Any idea what is going wrong?   wireless direct is turned on on the printer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please uninstall software and drivers then download the following file and install again (note: select wireless)

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL51217/bi-124140-4/OJ8620_198.exe

At the end, you have 2 logical printers you can pick one as default printer

2logic.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please uninstall software and drivers then download the following file and install again (note: select wireless)

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL51217/bi-124140-4/OJ8620_198.exe

At the end, you have 2 logical printers you can pick one as default printer

2logic.png

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Sorry, should I do this on my desktop computer or on each laptop?

HP Recommended

Actually since you have a router, Wireless Direct should be turned off in the printer. Wireless direct is only used for those who do not have a router connected to their ISP. Connect your printer to your routers SSID with password.

The issue you had is that your computers can only connect to one SSID at a time.  Either your printers Wireless Direct SSID or your routers SSID which connects to the Internet, not both.

HP Recommended

@130EE wrote:

Sorry, should I do this on my desktop computer or on each laptop?

Hi,

Unfortunately you have to do for all of them but the first one will take a bit longer.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.