Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I would like to know what software I would use to print from my Windows PC to the M577. In our environment we have a guest wireless network with open access and I would like our students to be able to print from thier PC's to the M577. I also will need to secure and restrict so only the students can print and not other patron's. Typicaaly we might have 10 students, however they would not need to connect at the same time.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

A Guest network offered by a router is a completely different network, seperated from teh main network, therefore you cannot print from both a Standard network and a Guest Network, it is virtually a different network and equals to a different router, the printer cannot be visible for both in any way...

Additionally a guest network meant to allow internet connectivity only, not local netowrking which means the printer won't be visible even by connecting it to the same guest network.

Assuming you may have the Flow M577z model you may enable Wireless Direct to allow a direct connection to the printer for this purpose, that will not affect the active network connection with your network devices:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-enterprise-mfp-m577-series/7326629/document/c...

For any other M577 model you may purchase and use the HP Jetdirect 3000w NFC/Wireless Direct Accessory

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-enterprise-mfp-m577-series/7326629/document/c...

A wireless direct connection allow connecting to the printer's network to print, that is the only way I can think of to allow both standard users pritneirn and a seperate guest printing without allowing access to your network, a wireless direct connection is password protected so only users with the password may connect to the printer and print.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.