Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I just got charged $20 (thanks HP!) for this - might as well help others!  

I have an HP Laserjet CP1518ni printer. I got the error because I was trying to change the default page setup settings in order to print a custom envelope size A7. Like you, I scoured the internet in hopes of a free fix for this. Of course there was nothing to be found. Other than the typical:

Turn printer off. Wait 30 sec. Turn back on.

Make sure printer is plugged into a wall socket (not a surge protector). 

Make sure there isn't any paper jammed, etc.

Found some other reset instructions but they were a little more involved - kind of freaked me out. 

Here's what tech support had me do. And this is SO simple - it's stupid :smileywink::

Shut off printer.

Simultaneously hold down the arrow to the RIGHT of the OK button and hold down the X button. 

Turn on Printer but keep holding down the two buttons.

First time it didn't work - got the 49 Error Shut off and Turn on message.

Second time the screen said something like Printer Settings Init. If you get this you can let go of the buttons. 

Print something. 

If it worked, I just saved you $20. You're welcome. :OpenSmile:

Not all printers are created equal so your buttons may be different - if you have a different model and you found something to work please post!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Thank you so much....I have looked all over for info on the error 49. HP has very poor customer service. You would think info on all the error messages would be published somewhere for owners.

HP Recommended

Well, I thanked you too quickly - After doing this several times (once I got it to print one item) it still goes to the error message when I try to print using my custom setting....

HP Recommended

This worked for me on my Laserjet 100

HP Recommended

Hi. Thanks much for the information. Sadly this did not work on my HP deskjet 4480 nor my HP Photosmart 2710. It is so frustrating to be able to create a custom paper size & then not be able to use it! Not sure what I will do now with this cool A7 size Red River paper...

Best of luck to everyone. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for post it helped with M451dw.

HP Recommended

This worked perfectly.   Had to do it two times.

HP Recommended

This just worked for me on the first try- THANK YOU!!

I have HP Laserjet 500- I pushed the button above OK and the X.

HP Recommended

Thank you! This method worked on a LaserJet 100 color MFP M175mw.

HP Recommended

worked on laserjet 1536dnf MFP

will add though that when the message appears the exclamation point comes on (flashes if I remember correctly) and it takes a little bit for this to prcess so just wait and it will continue once it resets

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.