Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
office jet pro 8610
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My 8610 printer looses connection to my Imac frequently.  If it is using the router I can see why this would happen but my printer is using a usb cable directly into my mac.   

But it also uses the router but I thought that was just for the instant ink program. 

any help will be apprerciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DanMcCarter,

HP regularly releases printer updates, as well as new Web Services apps and new features to existing Web Services apps. If you enabled Web Services during software installation, your printer already receives updates automatically. However, you can still check for the latest updates.

Below, is a link to a document that has instructions on another way to check to make sure you have the latest updates.

HP OfficeJet Printers - Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates

If you are still experiencing the connection issue with the latest firmware installed, I recommend you contact HP for further assistance.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear 

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

I hope this helps, and have a great day.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @DanMcCarter,

Welcome to the HP Community.

I understand you are having trouble keeping your HP Officejet Pro 8610 connected to your computer. I will be happy to help.

Have you tried using a different USB/Ethernet cable?

Even though you only use the wireless connection for Instant Ink, I will still recommend you try the steps in the document below to see if that helps resolve the connection issues.

HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, and 8660 e-All-in-One Printer Series - Printer Does Not Mai...

Finally, I will also recommend upgrading the firmware of your printer to see if that helps. Below, I have posted a link to a video that offers some instructions on how to update the firmware.

Software and driver results - HP Officejet Pro 8610

HP Printer Firmware update

Please try out all of the steps, in order and get back to me with the results. If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

I have followed the items outlined.   after watching the video on downloading the firmware I tried to follow the instyructions but the screnn on the website is different and it doesn;t offer a place to down the Firmware.  

It was my belief that the printer software was kept current by downloading all items that show up on my app store update page.  Ocasionally I get an item from HP.   Am I wrong on that?

HP Recommended

Hi @DanMcCarter,

HP regularly releases printer updates, as well as new Web Services apps and new features to existing Web Services apps. If you enabled Web Services during software installation, your printer already receives updates automatically. However, you can still check for the latest updates.

Below, is a link to a document that has instructions on another way to check to make sure you have the latest updates.

HP OfficeJet Printers - Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates

If you are still experiencing the connection issue with the latest firmware installed, I recommend you contact HP for further assistance.

Contact HP:
Step 1. Open link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear 

If this helps show appreciation for my reply by hitting the “thumbs up” below, or click the "Accept as Solution" button if I have helped you reach a solution.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.