Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laser Jet Pro M477 fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As I understand Auto Tray Select one should not have to set a Default Paper Tray (i.e. Tray 1 vs Tray 2). Upon initiating a print job the printer should scan the avaible trays and look for the correct media type and size....correct?  When I select Auto Tray Select the printer still forces me to choose. Am I msissing something in setup or do I have a bad printer?  Thanks in advance for your asssitance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The idea of "printer auto-select" is that the paper source is chosen, by the printer, by matching the paper size (e.g. A4 or Letter) and paper type (e.g. Plain or Letterhead) requested by the incoming print job to a tray which the printer has been configured to know will satisfy those criteria.

I don't have access to a printer of your model, but I'll illustrate with an example using a slightly older model (LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn).

The printer tray configuration (set via the front panel menus, or (in this case) via the Embedded Web Server interface:

Capture.PNG

... and the paper source selection set via the Print Preferences dialogue when submitting the print job from the (Windows 10 64-bit) workstation:

Capture2.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The idea of "printer auto-select" is that the paper source is chosen, by the printer, by matching the paper size (e.g. A4 or Letter) and paper type (e.g. Plain or Letterhead) requested by the incoming print job to a tray which the printer has been configured to know will satisfy those criteria.

I don't have access to a printer of your model, but I'll illustrate with an example using a slightly older model (LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn).

The printer tray configuration (set via the front panel menus, or (in this case) via the Embedded Web Server interface:

Capture.PNG

... and the paper source selection set via the Print Preferences dialogue when submitting the print job from the (Windows 10 64-bit) workstation:

Capture2.PNG

HP Recommended

I also have the Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fdw that I purchased a few days ago.  I need a printer that will auto source "detect" the paper size.  

I have files or documents that contain both letter and legal within the same file.  Example:  Pages 1-3 (letter), Page 5-6 (legal), Page 7-9 (letter).  

I like all the features of the M477fdw, but I am being told it does not support the function you mentioned Auto Tray Select.  

So far HP is recommending their Enterprise line at greater than $2,000+.  Way too much for a one person business, I'd never make my money back.  Another recommendation is buy two HP printers...

Have you found a solution to your question?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.