Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet Pro M476
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am getting a black line across my pages when scanning and copying but not when I print.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Then you need to clean the auto document feeder scan glass. This is the 1/2 wide thin strip of glass to the left of the main flatbed scanner glass. Lay your copy face up on the flatbed scanner glass, and the line on the paper should line up with where the contamination is on the ADF glass. You should be able to use your fingernail or a lightly dampened cloth with alcohol or glass cleaner to remove the mark.

Hello David- good morning, happy new year, I hope you are doing well 🙂

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5245583&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04...

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you put the paper on the glass and scan is the line present. If not then then a small strip of glass on the left side has a mark or piece of dirt that is causing the line. Sometimes you have to located the speck which is very very small and scrape it with your fingernail.

HP Recommended

I didn't realize this before because I don't normally copy or scan from the glass, but there is no line present when using the glass, only the feeder.

HP Recommended

Then you need to clean the auto document feeder scan glass. This is the 1/2 wide thin strip of glass to the left of the main flatbed scanner glass. Lay your copy face up on the flatbed scanner glass, and the line on the paper should line up with where the contamination is on the ADF glass. You should be able to use your fingernail or a lightly dampened cloth with alcohol or glass cleaner to remove the mark.

Hello David- good morning, happy new year, I hope you are doing well 🙂

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5245583&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04...

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much..... I almost bought a new printer.  Cleaning that little piece of glass did the trick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.