Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

After months of being unable to reinstall the HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers Win7 64bit- (PS_AIO_02_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_140), I finally figured out what was happening. Two computers had the exact same issue. Hopefully, the HP Software development team will review this and fix the bug in the downloaded software. The HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows 7 (V2.1- HPPIW) has the same issue since it downloads the same file.

The first install works; however, once uninstalled and attempting to re-install, it would say "The system cannot find the file specified" in the following folder (the file name could not be determined because the full location was chopped off):

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS1D16\Setup\..\Setup\blocksysuserinstal... etc.

Note, that the temp directory (in this case, "7zS1D16") was different on both computers.

The workaround on each computer was to let the reinstall fail and record the folder name it was trying to find. Make a note of the time you attempted the reinstall as well.

Now, create a new folder with the missing folder's name (in my case, 7zS1D16) in the folder location:

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Temp\

Next, locate the Temp folder it used for the install (use the time stamp you recorded above to help).

C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Temp\[FOLDER]

Copy all the files in this folder into the new folder you created.

Run the install program again and it will now find the missing file.

The problem is that, for whatever reason, the installation file looks in the wrong temp folder after uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm glad my solution helped you both..., this is the kind of thing HP should be fixing if they want to keep customers (I'm not even a software engineer). Since I've had similar issues in the last couple of years with HP's printersl, laptops, and the cell phones they tried and gave up on (adding further insult to a decade plus Palm user). I have switched away from HP in every way possible.

As far as printers go, I couldn't recommend Brother's color laser printers more; the MFC-9970CDW is awesome, has foolproof and efficient software, and was a good deal at Costco's website. The only downside with it is that it is pretty big.

I also love the Epson Artisan 720 I picked up on clearance at Best Buy. Once again, it prints beautifully and the software just plain works... something HP used to do for years with printers (I had the C7280 for probably 7 or 8 years and thought it was a great printer for lasting so long until HP's software failed).

After trying probably 3 different  recent model HP printers that have been nothing but trouble, I'm done with the company.

Good luck to you all, but if you want to have fewer headaches, I suggest you look into Brother or Epson.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  After spending hours trying to re-install this, you had the answer.  You should work for HP.

HP Recommended

I have had the same exact problem.  Your Solution finally worked. Thank You!  

It still does not address remaining problems such as HP Solution Center Error Message: "The installation is not complete" and the scanner and the fax not being identified.  

But, one step at a time.

Thank you again.

HP Recommended

I'm glad my solution helped you both..., this is the kind of thing HP should be fixing if they want to keep customers (I'm not even a software engineer). Since I've had similar issues in the last couple of years with HP's printersl, laptops, and the cell phones they tried and gave up on (adding further insult to a decade plus Palm user). I have switched away from HP in every way possible.

As far as printers go, I couldn't recommend Brother's color laser printers more; the MFC-9970CDW is awesome, has foolproof and efficient software, and was a good deal at Costco's website. The only downside with it is that it is pretty big.

I also love the Epson Artisan 720 I picked up on clearance at Best Buy. Once again, it prints beautifully and the software just plain works... something HP used to do for years with printers (I had the C7280 for probably 7 or 8 years and thought it was a great printer for lasting so long until HP's software failed).

After trying probably 3 different  recent model HP printers that have been nothing but trouble, I'm done with the company.

Good luck to you all, but if you want to have fewer headaches, I suggest you look into Brother or Epson.

HP Recommended

This didn't work for me.

And uninstalling made things worse since before trying,  my Printer was working but not Scanner, Fax and Solution Center. Now since install stops with 'Fatal Error, I have no printer either.

HP Recommended

Hello kmr1cat

Follow the following steps they should help resolve your error. Also do you receive a specific error code for your Fatal Error?

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

Photosmart C7280 Software

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

Photosmart C7280 Software

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended
I have a Deskjet F380 which was working fine. I used it two days ago. Today 1/18 when I tried to use it I got a message that it cannot find the file specified. I removed the program and tried to re install and got the same message. No file specified. I redownload the driver et al and got the same message. I tried the 'fixes' (There were many 7z files and still nothing. Cleaned up and rebooted. I ad reinstalled the drivers many times before with no problems. Win 7, 64 bit.
HP Recommended
Hello Funkyecat

Could you attach a screenshot of the error? Also, is there any more information provided by the error? I have sometimes seen similar messages, however, they usually state which file it couldn't find and/or the location it is looking for.

If you followed my instructions in the previous post did you make sure for step 9 to download the Full Feature Software for your Deskjet F380 instead?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have run each of the fixes listed since my original post but still no success.

The latest problem is that the Setup application seems to get killed as soon as it is launched. This happens with and without firewall turned off.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello 20131216. Could you please elaborate on your exact issue? Additionally, please provide the following information:

1. The printer model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bpy21016

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website (if you are using Windows): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.