Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
C7180 Printer
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Have replaced Ink cartridges in C7180 with all new HP pack of inks from Staples, but Magenta cartridge displays as out of ink, so cannot print anything

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @MaywoodMan, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

I'm glad your issue got resolved.

As you mentioned the printer is not grabbing the photo paper.

Have you tried checking with a different brand photo paper?

Try cleaning the rollers and check if it helps.

Press the Power button () to turn off the product.
Turn the product so that you can access the rear side.
Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Remove the rear access door or automatic two-sided printing accessory (duplexer). Press in the latches on the rear access door, and then pull it away from the product to remove it. If the product has a duplexer, press the buttons on the sides of the duplexer, and then pull it away to remove it.
Look for paper that might have jammed inside the printer. Use a flashlight to carefully view the areas around the rollers. Remove all traces of paper found.
Wipe the rubber paper feed rollers with a lint-free cloth lightly moistened with distilled or bottled water. Rotate the rollers up carefully to clean all the way around.
Look for the paper pick roller farther inside the rear access area.
IMPORTANT: The paper pick roller is a bit more difficult to reach; however, it is the most important part to clean. Make sure to clean it thoroughly. If this roller is not clean, the issue will likely continue.
Clean the paper pick roller with a cotton swab moistened with distilled or bottled water. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to make sure that you remove all debris. Clean the roller thoroughly all the way around.
Make sure that the rollers on the rear access door or duplexer are clean and in good condition. If any are missing, stuck, or loose, replace the rear access door or duplexer with a new one.
Allow the rollers to dry completely, and then replace the rear access door or duplexer.
Slide the left side of the rear access door into place, and then gently push the door in until the door clicks or snaps into place. If the product has a duplexer, slide the duplexer in until it snaps into place.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MaywoodMan,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the new magenta cartridge displays as out of ink on your HP Photosmart C7180 All-in-One Printer.

This issue could occur if the magenta ink cartridge is not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: http://hp.care/2pumZYy

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thanks Rainbow but I found the answer in the following post

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/PhotoSmart-C7180/m-p/3495983/highlight/true#M72837

I had replaced all the cartriges, but for the Magenta the printer persisted in showing it empty, and tried all the usual to rectify. And my wife tried all of the other posts, until I found the post in the link above.

It finally worked only when you went into this "factory test" mode, and then it showed the inks were all full and I can print in b/w  and color. But still having problem with the picture printing. Have put HP photo paper into the printer, and pushed the blue tray fully to the rear, but it can't seem to grab the photo paper sheet.

Thanks

Anthon

HP Recommended

Hi! @MaywoodMan, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

I'm glad your issue got resolved.

As you mentioned the printer is not grabbing the photo paper.

Have you tried checking with a different brand photo paper?

Try cleaning the rollers and check if it helps.

Press the Power button () to turn off the product.
Turn the product so that you can access the rear side.
Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
Remove the rear access door or automatic two-sided printing accessory (duplexer). Press in the latches on the rear access door, and then pull it away from the product to remove it. If the product has a duplexer, press the buttons on the sides of the duplexer, and then pull it away to remove it.
Look for paper that might have jammed inside the printer. Use a flashlight to carefully view the areas around the rollers. Remove all traces of paper found.
Wipe the rubber paper feed rollers with a lint-free cloth lightly moistened with distilled or bottled water. Rotate the rollers up carefully to clean all the way around.
Look for the paper pick roller farther inside the rear access area.
IMPORTANT: The paper pick roller is a bit more difficult to reach; however, it is the most important part to clean. Make sure to clean it thoroughly. If this roller is not clean, the issue will likely continue.
Clean the paper pick roller with a cotton swab moistened with distilled or bottled water. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to make sure that you remove all debris. Clean the roller thoroughly all the way around.
Make sure that the rollers on the rear access door or duplexer are clean and in good condition. If any are missing, stuck, or loose, replace the rear access door or duplexer with a new one.
Allow the rollers to dry completely, and then replace the rear access door or duplexer.
Slide the left side of the rear access door into place, and then gently push the door in until the door clicks or snaps into place. If the product has a duplexer, slide the duplexer in until it snaps into place.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper.

Let me know how it goes!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the very detailed reply and it seems to work now - not perfectly - but enought to print an occational photo

Thanks again for your time on this.

I do have another HP problem - HP Pavilion dv7 which i can't make connect to the internet . It makes a connection with the Verizon router, but it stays in local mode and does not connect to Verizon DSL. Other more modern tabletes and laptops connect, and is seems to have a valid IP address. It has an integrated wireless card (atheros) but I think the driver is out of date and the HP support site does not seem to go earlier than 2010 models of the dv7.

Is there any other site I could try.

Regards,

Anthony

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.