Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

CANNOT DOWNLOAD DRIVER FOR HP Deskjet F4500  ALL IN ONE PRINTER - I have an HP laptop with AMD E300 APU 1.30 GHZ 64bit running Windows 7 - install stops (both from disc and web download attempt) and says "the file cannot be accessed by the system" and then shows this file:   c:\programfiles\hp\(0AFFEA39-60AF-4C4F-BB47-4A1F7CB12129)\GUP\AUTO

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi THEWHALE1,

Try using the scrubber built into the CD or Download.

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3944...

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3944...

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I did everything that I was told to do by "I am an HP employee." and it did not work...  I dont know what to do now .... So I have NO KUDOS to give....  Whale...

HP Recommended

Hi THEWHALE1,

How are you attempting to connect the printer to your computer (Wireless or USB)?

Install the printer on a different computer, and let me know if you are successful with the printer installation?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

The printer works with my desktop but my HP laptop will not let me download the driver from either the wireless or the disk.....

HP Recommended

Hi THEWHALE1,

When you say it won't let you download the driver are you getting error message on the download, or are you getting an error while attempting to install the driver?

Install the printer using the USB cable, and let me know what happens?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I am sorry but I connected my laptop to the printer and attempted to download the driver both from windows update and the disc that came with the printer and neither worked....

I always get this and comply with same:

check system - and it does

prepare system for install

install software

configure

review and accept - and I do

and then I receive the following message:  "the file cannot be accessed by the system"

I have done all of the above every single time I have attempted to download the driver and I get nowhere....

I don't understand.....

HP Recommended

WHALE1, I tried the steps the other person told you, for the same error / message, the file can not be accessed by the system. and it did not work for me. I am hoping someone can help me, I have posted on two other pages? i am new to getting on forums for help. i have never had problems with a printer before. I have had aleast 6 to maybe 8 over the years this one HP Deskjet F4580 has been the worst. I am not sure if would buy another HP again if they are going to be like this one, unless this one was just a lemon?

If you have gotten a fix and can let me know I would appreciate. Thanks Harry

HP Recommended

Hi harryp1980,

Follow the steps below, and let me know what happens?

Step one: Clear temp directory

1. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field
  2. Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).
  3. Continue with Step 2 below

Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=al-73705-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.

3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation

4. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field

5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy

7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.

8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop

9. Open folder Util

10. Open folder CCC

11. Run the uninstall_L4

12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

13. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools folder under all programs

14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Let me know if you are able to successfully install the software and driver, and are able to print & scan?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

hello pcwizard, your magic did not work. i tried twice thinking i did not do a step right? i am sure i did all steps to a "T" as the expression goes?

is it possible that i have a virus or anti spyware/maleware on my computer causing this error?

i ran two anti spyware/maleware and my microsoft security essntials previously after not being able to install and getting the error message. and then try the install after running all three programs which all said no spyware/maleware or viruses.

i use superantispyware & malwarebytes both free versions. oh and i always before running spyware and antiviurs programs update the definitions prior to running them.

Thanks for giving me these steps.

Is there anything else we can try? I really need my printer to work. its only approx. 2 years old, plus i can not afford to buy a new one, when I feel we should be able to get this one to run / software to install properly.

Thanks again Harry P. 🙂 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.