Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet CM 1312 MFP
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

since about 2 weeks I have the problem, that  my MFP still works as a printer, but the scanner is not avalable any more.

Before I could use it via the TWAIN interface in programs like irfan view or pdf24.

As deleting an the driver and reinstall the acutal version from the www did not solve the problem, I set up again the complete Notebook - but the result was the same.

Changing the USB-port only restarts the installation of the driver (now with a failure notive wrong parameter), but no change of the problem.

In the device manager, a HP PNP Scan Null device is visible.

System is an up to date Windows 7 Professional (64 bit).

There has been no change in the system (despite updating) for years and the printer was working as expected.

Thank you in advance for any good idea for the reason of the problem.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello!

I've the same problem, and I think I found the solution.

Uninstall all HP software.

Clean the register with CCleaner.

Restart the computer.

Switch ON your CM1312 printer.

Your computer must be connected with internet.

Plug the USB cable between the printer and the computer.

Windows AutoUptade will install the drivers.

Some drivers will fail, it's normal.

Restart the computer.

Start Windows update, the missing drivers will appear.

Install them.

Restart the computer.

Now start the driver HP Color LaserJet CM1312 MFP Series Full Solution of 308 Mo.

Choose the Ethernet between computer (the internet box for me) and the printer, NOT USB!!!!

And now the scan function (and printer) will work.

HP Recommended

Hello cocolobo,

thank you for the answer - I tried it yesterday but without success.

Until the installation of the HP-software, everything worked as you discribed.

But I was not able to choose the network printer.

I have only th USB-version, so the software was not able to finish the installation.

Until now, everything stays the same - the scanner is still noc available - no TWAIN-device is visible.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but my printer is the CM1312nfi MFP, and it has an Ethernet port near the USB port on the rear side.

HP Recommended

I encountered the same problem on my CM1312nfi MFP, after installing Windows 10. No scan function anymore.

Re-installing the sw (newest version) is not possible as a network printer. This ends up in a loop when the systems tries to connect the printer to the network. So you have to stop the installation. The system sends a report to HP, an a "solution" is send to my display.

This message assumes that the computer is working with Vista. Ridiculous!!!! I bought this HP laptop with Vista, did not use it very much because Vista was a disaster. Lateron I updated to Windows 7, that worked fine. And about 1,5 month ago I updated to Windows 10, and now I'm running into all kind of different problems. The missing scanner on my All in One is the main problem of this all.

Installing with USB makes the printer working. Printing works find then,  and after this installation there is a way to make the connection to the network swell.  However NO SCAN FUNCTION!!!

I checked on the internet, it seems quite a lot of people in the world are encountering this "Missing Scanfunction" problem,  and it's not always "Windows 10 related"...

No real solution is showing up sofar.

Is HP assuming I should buy a new printer? I don't think that's a friendly way for customer satisfaction!

HP: PLEASE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM!!!

HP Recommended

I did some more investigations. I installed the Printer and Scanner doctor. (HPPSdr-exe).

This helped a little: Scanner Docter told me that the Scan Software was not found on my computer. Well, actually that's what I thougt some weeks ago already! Now I'm really sure about it!

Doctor told me what to do: Goto Customer Support! There was a handy link in that message, which did not work!

Well, there are other ways to get there. 

The message said: Go there, and downlaod the most recent software for this printer.............  Well, there we are at the start of this problem again!!! This newest SW has no Scan sw included, or there is no way to install it on the computer!

I downloaded this most recent software several times already! I installed this a couple of times already. Even on different pc's.

Each time during installation the sw made the proposal to check for newer sw! And never any newer sw was found as the the most recent sw I downloaded, of couse...

I tried to install this up-to-date not-working sw a couple of times already.

Its seems to be a HoPeless problem to get the scanningstuff in action again.

HP: Time to invent a solution for this problem! Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

Proposed Solution that finally worked (HP Color LaserJet CM1312nfi MFP) Scanner Driver Issue

After 3 hours of loading, unloadinmg, reloading, deleting the various printer drivers, the scan option Driver finally loaded.... what a pain.

Situation/Solution:

A 2014 version Driver was working fine for all functions (print, scan and fax) through 5:00pm on 12/2/15, we have about 10 different work stations at different offices all using this exact same printer model and exact sam HP HDX Computers.  That helped to allow for narrowing down the issues since the other stations were all still working properly using the old Driver installed prior to 2015.

Then while moving a printer to another identical computer station (HP HDX16 Premium Series 64-Bit Windows 7 Ultimate) we updated to the current 2015 Driver from the HP Website.

Everything "seemed" to load properly but the Driver when loaded showed "ready to use" with a green check mark but listed the HP Scanner as "Null".  I went through the steps of unloading and reloading  the 3-4 different driver options from the HP website, in my case PCL 5 was what we had been using however, there were a few other options ie PCL 6 etc.

After spending hours of trying the different options and searching for solutions I noticed that during downloading from the HP site, you can monitor the process of the downloads (monitoring the pop up box that shows "ready to use" as each Driver completes the install).  There are 8 total checks that will appear when ready however, the Scan will show ready to use but the description shows "Null" which is the problem. 

While I can't remember if I had the printer connected at the time it finally loadedproperly, in the bottom right hand corner you can click on the printer driver install icon that will open the pop up box to monitor the "ready to use" installs for the various 8 features.  Whithin the pop up box there is an option at the bottom that will "not allow" going to the website for the most current drivers.  I initially tried clicking that option right as the pop up box opened but would get an error.  You can watch the swirling icon that will change to "ready for use" as each Driver installs for each of the 8 features.  The order of the Driver installs is not in order by the list, they seem random and the scanner always seems to be one of the last 3 features to install.

I eventually tried waiting to allow the first 4-5 features to install (the green swirls turning to "ready to use") and then I "clicked the option to not allow" going to the website for the most current options.  It finally loaded, I cannot explain why but it loaded as it normally should only after clicking the "not allow" once the initial 4-5 features showed "ready to use".  I have never had to click that option to "not allow" going to the website during the past 7-8 years we have owned these CM1312nfi printers, it appears to be an issue with the most recent Driver modifications made by HP sometime this year 2015.

Good Luck....   

HP Recommended

I created an account just because of how ridiculous it is that this solution actually worked.  First of all, thank you, second of all, how the heck does this make any sense?!

HP Recommended

May 12, 2017

I installed Printer and Scanner wouldn't work.  "Twain" problem.

I looked at the HP forums for clues, and I stumbled across a post that gave me new ideas.

1.  I uninstalled all HP software using their uninstall feature.

2.  Down the free Windows CCleaner program.

.... A.  I ran the cleaner and cleaned out the junk.

.... B.  Went to the registry and ran the "fix" program.  Fixed all registry items.

3.  Deleted the "HP" folder.

(This is where my recollection  my is a bit strained)

4.   Ran the "Full ... AM -EMEA1-v5.1" file.

5.  When asked to pick a cable to printer from computer, select the network cable, not USB.

6.  Program will ask you to select a printer.  If you don't see your printer, use the "back" button.

(This took about 5 tries until the computer saw the printer!)

7.   Got the "completed" box and tried to run a test page:  Nothing happened.  

8.   I closed the the "completed" box, opened the device manager (in control panel),

right clicked on the "Imaging devices" and I saw the "HP CLJ C1312 Scan" device.

9.  I am grateful I did not quit.  Opened up the scan program, hit scan, and the HP printer came to life!

10   I did several scans (coior, B&W, Gray, 200, 300 dpi) and I was happy!

NOw I will power everthing, and with the grace of JESUS, tis will still work.  

Harry.  tootjunk 3 at gamil dot com.  Good Luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.