Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CM2320fxi
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Upgraded from Win 8.1 to Windows 10 x64 yesterday.

My printer is a ColorLaserjet CM2320fxi connected via Ethernet (fixed IP in local address pool).

The computer has 32GB RAM, 4. generation i7 CPU and plenty of disk space. No scarcity in any of the requirements.

After the installation HP Scan + Fax didn't work any more. Unknown devices were shown in the device manager, no drivers could be found online or locally.

Printing (all UPD drivers) was still available and working.

Took a look at the HP support pages and learned that the full solution 3.1 —

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3597341&swLangOid=18&swEnvOid=4192

— is supposed to still work with Win 10.

Tried to reinstall the AiO suite. The installation went exactly to the point where the network printer was identified and some DOS windows in the backup were copying drivers. It stopped at a point were the setup process nagged about a missing unidrv.dll in a nonexisting folder: 

C:\Windows\System32\Driverstore\FileRepository\ntprint_inf_amd64_***\i386

Don't remember the exact wording of *** above right now; anyway this folder string seemes quite strange; either it's AMD64 or (exclusive or)  x86/i386, not a nested combination of both. Even on a machine still running on Win 8.1 there didn't exist such a folder.

I tried to manually insert the pathes to several versions of 'unidrv.dll' libraries I found on my system; to no avail. An empty box (absolutely no text) popped up, clicking 'Ok' or closing being the only choices. Afterwards the setup program reproducibly insisted on finding the network printer again and run into missing unidrv.dll — again and again and again.

Stopped the installation. The deinstallation wizard failed miserably and messed up my system.

Restarted my computer and tried to install the HP suite again. Installation failed directly after starting, stating a warning my OS isn't supported and an error The installer can't be run as (sic!). This also happened when I explicitely started the installer as Admin.

Did a manual uninstall,  scanning the registry and file system for remnants of of the CM2320 and deleting all of them.

Restarted the system, tried to install the HP suite again. It stopped exactly at the point where the network printer had been identified and some DOS background windows were copying drivers — with a totally empty box popping up, , clicking Ok or closing being the only choices. No grumbling aboput missing unidrv.dll this time. Installation started again from the point were the network printer needed to be identified. Placing a version of unidrv.dll into the extracted temporary installation folder didn't change anything, the procedure turned out to be an endless loop failing over and over with an empty box popping up. Finally stopped installation attempts.

Learned the built in Windows 10 scanning app is able to handle the CM2320 scan module, thus there is a kind of workaround for this part. No makeshift for faxing so far.

Thus the nearly identical driver structure for Win 8.1 and Win 10 (cite HP support regarding Win 10 upgrade) seems to have some strings attached, especially when some complex installers are involved.

Right now it's not possible to install the HP AiO suite 3.1 on my computer running Windows 10 x64 (upgraded from Win 8.1). Havn't tried installing the HP AiO suite on a bare metal (clean new install of Win 10) so far as reinstalling all needed programs would take two days or so.

Is there some workaround for faxing, too?

Does HP plan to publish an updated AiO suite for Win 10?

Or has the CM2320 entered the realm of old devices not being supported any more as seen before many times?

I appreciate any hints.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I too am experiencing the same problem. Six months with no resolution? Sadly, not altogether unexpected.

HP Recommended

Currently, the "full solution" available for download from HP is version 3.1 dated 16 October, 2014. Nothing new on that front.

h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=3597341&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

HP Recommended

... and this printer is not supported by the HP Install Wizard:
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195

HP Recommended

Same situation over here - HP CM2320 machine on Windows 10, the printer works fine, but the scanner just won't connect. Have tried reinstalling the device and all drivers with no luck.

HP and Microsoft are supremely unhelpful for this type of thing.

HP Recommended

From a suggestion I foud elsewhere, not from any info provided by HP, I was able to get the print and scan functions to work by connecting the printer via USB rather than networking through the router. Have not yet worked out sharing from other PCs on the network but I need the scanner in the office more than I need the printer elsewhere.

HP Recommended

After a few mounths I yesterday found full working solution to install CM2320 like a netvork printer with full working original software. So, let´s go

1. Run install software and install the printer like conected to network, even if the installation will cancel, wait until will installation say, that "error, printer not connected" and cancel it. (it´s nessary to make this, becaus this part of instalation will install special TCP/IP port of HP company, with manually configured TCP(IP port WILL NOT WORK).

2. Press and hold "Windows key" and after press "X" key (with still holding "Windows key") and from rolled menu press to "Control panel", in Control panel go to "Hardware and ...", after to "Printers" and delete installed "HP CM2320 Series PCL6"

3. Connect your printer via USB cable and wait, if the printer will install like "HP CM2320 Series PCL6" in the same place in Control panel like in step 2.

-  If the printer installs like "HP CM2320 Series PCL6", don´t change nothing and go directly to step 4.  

-  If the printer installs like "HP Universal PS" or "HP CM2320 PCL6 Class driver" or something else expect "HP CM2320 Series PCL6", installation will not work, you must "Add a new printer" (in up of window with installed printers) and manually select "HP" -> "HP CM2320 Series PCL6", the driver will change. After you make this, you MUST RESTART YOUR PC (without restart will the driver during the installation change back anbd inbstallation will stop - at this step I spended maybe 6 hrs. at one of my 3 PC´s)

4. Run the setup again with CM2320 connected to USB and when the program will ask, where is the printer connected, choose "Directly to this PC", this will let you continue and finish the setup program. Before finish you can register your product and setup your fax settings (I use the fax function, I maked this), but if you cancel this possibilites, nothing happened. Your setup will finish correctly.

5. Now go back to printer control panel (like in step 2) and choos "Ad a new printer", in second step choose "Select manually" and new popup window will open, where you must the port from "LPT1" to created "HP TCP/IP" and manually select the driver to "HP" -> "HP CM2320 Series PCL6". Maybe will again automaticly open the window with CM2320 setup and give you some critical error, but this doesnˇt metter for me, only press OK buton and the setup will finish.

6. Im Printers control panel delete CM2320 instaslled to USB.

At this moment you have installed CM2320 like network printer and you can print and scan from you computer, but you CAN NOT scan from printer control panel. If you wish also scan from printer, make the folowing steps:

7. Run again the setup program and choose "Install more software" and in the next window choose "Manually select the software" and in the next window select all possibilities. Now let the setup finish and you will have one new program "HP ToolboxFX" and in Scan setup will enabled the possibility to add targets for scanning from printer.

- If you will have only posibilities "Add a new device" or "Uninstall" after running setup (What happened on one of my laptops), choose "Add a new device" with printer connected to USB and finish this setup. After run the setup program again and now you can "Install more software"

8. After you will add targets for scanning from the device, you must restart your PC.

Now you can use full software of HP CM2320 device. This solution works perfect for me after too much time spended for resolve this problem with HP CM2320fxi on all of my 3 PC´s

P.S.: Sorry for my bad English and for some mistakes in the names in Windows menu, because all my PC´s are completly in Czech languague. If you wil something not understand, ask me or when I will be home, I can make better guide also with pictures.

P.S.2: I found also the solution for sending email directly from the printer control panel ALSO WITHOUT HP SUPPORT, if you need this, ask me.

HP Recommended

This looks promising. Now just need to find the time to make it happen. Thanks!

HP Recommended
Yes, I agree-looks very promising and I will try it pver the weekend.

I have to add, that this problem arised only on my new Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installation on Dell Latitude e6500 laptop. I tried all tricks I know (xx years of MS user), but no luck.

But, my desktop machine (own build, i7 and 3 years old) had this CM2320fxi installed already in Win 8.1. After migration to Win 10 and now upgrading to Redstone, absolutely NO PRINTER DRIVER PROBLEMS with the same HP device experienced! Evetything runs smoothly lIke breeze!?

Obviously, MS migration process knows how to deal with this peace of "old" HP HW and SW. Maybe someone from MS could give us a script of actions to be executed (one should be an optimist in this business).

Let's keep us updated.
HP Recommended

Hi

I have tried the solution proposed, but without result.

However, if you check the Event Log coming from the continously crashing Print Spooler and if you fint the error message: 

"Faulting application name: spoolsv.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x5789985e

Faulting module name: hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll, version: 13.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5553b101

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000c2f2b

Faulting process ID: 0x2ef4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1f471e78c7ba7

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoolsv.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\hpb6sy2917_x64gui.dll

Report ID: fd59fa46-f502-4da5-815f-729f0d972b20

Faulting package full name:"

then you must apply the solution proposed here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-winapps/print-spooler-keeps-stopping/116f...

Check the answer proposed by "MNORFOLK" who deserves great thanks for finding a proper solution by using MS Fix-It procedures (which all us somehow forget to check first!).

As far as I am concerned, everything has been solved in 10 minutes (including one Windows 10 Pro restart needed).

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.