Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet P4014 printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

The printer keeps asking to load paper to tray 1.  Tray 1 is closed.  In order to print I have to push the ok to switch to tray 2 then it will print.

It comes up this way each time.  I have tried to manually change it as well as going into the printer properties.  In the properities I have Tray 1 disabled but it doesn't stop it from defaulting back to tray 1.

Any help would be appreciated.  I have hundreds of people using this printer each day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is usually an issue of paper size and or paper type not matching the job. Run a config page and make sure the paper size matches what is in the tray and the type should be set for any. Also when the message comes up it should say to load the size and type paper in tray 1 which will give you an indication of what setting is wrong.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

This is usually an issue of paper size and or paper type not matching the job. Run a config page and make sure the paper size matches what is in the tray and the type should be set for any. Also when the message comes up it should say to load the size and type paper in tray 1 which will give you an indication of what setting is wrong.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all of your help that worked.

HP Recommended

How about the printer software would just allow users to pick their own default ?

What a waste of time over thinking , this trying to marry printer firmware logic with with Printer software logic to determine a default....just let me pick the default ! 

Google searches yield many many results of users having this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.