Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet pro m203dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We bought a new LJ Pro M203dw for our school network.   We have hidden ssid's with WPA2 encryption,  and I have been able to set up previous models (1102w's mostly) to connect without to much hassle.  I had two chat sessions with HP support and was told they could not connect it to a "public network".   What I find is that the HP Device Toolkit (connected through USB)  shows that it recognizes the SSID,  but it only shows WPA encrytion and not WPA2.  Our 1102's  show WPA/WPA2 as the encryption.   Anyone want to chime in with something useful I would appreciate it.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GaryPahoa,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to connect your HP LaserJet Pro M203dw Printer to the school network.

This issue could occur if the printer is not setup properly.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Wireless Printer Setup (Windows)

You may also check the link for WPA2 password: Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Windows)

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Rainbow23--

Did you read the first post where I said first that HP support remoted into my computer and tried for a almost an hour to get the thing to work?  I followed the instructions,  and IT DID NOT WORK.  Support followed the instructions, and upgraded the firmware, and a lot of other stuff, and IT DID NOT WORK.  The printer fails to connect to the hidden SSID,  even when I enter in manually and enter our WPA2 key.  This procedure has worked on HP LJ 1102's that we have, which are older than this model.  Those printers show the key entry as WPA/WPA2.   This one shows WEP/WPA.  

So please don't waste my time repeating what your own people already tried.  Read the post and if you are HP support,   look up S/N VNB3B37258 chat records to see what we already did.  

HP Recommended

@GaryPahoa,

Thank you for your reply, I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi I have the same porblem with our LaserJet Pro MFP M127FW. 

I cannot connect the printer to the hidden network although it should. 

Please let me know how this works. 

HP Recommended

Do not hide your SSID as printers are not made to find them.  Hiding your SSID does nothing.

Most all newer routers do not even offer this 'feature' anymore as they know it does not work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secur...

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.