Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I just bought OJ Pro 8610 to replace my OJ 6310 (which frequently came up with a flaky "carriage jam" error). 

I was disappointed to find that the 8610 does not accept card stock (index 110 lb) whereas this was no problem for the 6310.  It does not feed the card stock, and reports that paper tray is empty.  Is this by design, or do I have a flaky unit, or is there a setting for card stock somewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're welcome dickey, and thank you for getting back to me.

If you're receiving an "Out of Paper" error, you might have to check some things with the printer and settings and even clean the rollers and it should work from then on. The link is below to the guide with all of the recommended steps to try for the out of paper error.

An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays and the Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper for the HP Officejet Pro 8...

If the printer will still not pick up any card stock and continues to show the error, I would then suggest calling HP Technical Support to inquire about a replacement printer. I will leave their contact details for you.

HP's contact info:
If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and if you are calling outside of the US/Canada,: click here.

I hope my posts have provided some help and good information to you, best wishesSmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey there @dickey38 ,

I have checked out the printer specs for your new Officejet 8610 and do see that it supports Cards up to 110lb. Here is the link to the specifications page for you to see too:

Printer Specifications for the HP Officejet Pro 8610, 8620, 8630, 8640, and 8660 e-All-in-One Printe...

8610cards.PNG

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for pointing me to the full specs.  I note that the card stock spec relates to the capacity of the tray (80 cards).  This should imply that the printer will actually handle card stock.

But -- I tried again, and printer will not feed the card stock ("out of paper". the printer mechanism won't grab a sheet.

Do you know if anyone is actually using this printer with card stock?  Should I pursue this as a product defect?

HP Recommended

You're welcome dickey, and thank you for getting back to me.

If you're receiving an "Out of Paper" error, you might have to check some things with the printer and settings and even clean the rollers and it should work from then on. The link is below to the guide with all of the recommended steps to try for the out of paper error.

An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays and the Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper for the HP Officejet Pro 8...

If the printer will still not pick up any card stock and continues to show the error, I would then suggest calling HP Technical Support to inquire about a replacement printer. I will leave their contact details for you.

HP's contact info:
If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and if you are calling outside of the US/Canada,: click here.

I hope my posts have provided some help and good information to you, best wishesSmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

This solved the problem for me:

I bought an HP Officejet Pro 8610 today.

After much fiddling and research and trial and error I found a way to get the printer to feed cardstock all the time.

Remove regular paper from tray

Place about a quarter inch of cardstock in the tray

For the printer I have, this was the only way to have it properly feed the card stock all the time.

I found that you can't just place a sheet of cardstock on top of the other paper in the tray, and you can't just place one sheet of card stock alone in the tray.

HP Recommended

Actually I am embarrassed to tell you what my solution was.  I went to the printer options page and selected card stock instead of regular paper!  Pretty dumb huh?

HP Recommended

This worked, thanks for your input.  When I called the HP support line they said that the 8610 was not designed to take card stock.  Real winners there.

HP Recommended

I had the very same experience with the 8610, which would not print on card stock and, after about two pages of regular paper, returned an "Out of Paper" message continuously despite a LOT of troubleshooting.  I took it back to Best Buy, bought an 8620 and it wouldn't print on card stock either.  I'll try the two suggestions noted above, but they seem to make sense...

HP Recommended

I had a similar issue trying to print a design exported to PDF from Adobe Illustrator with my premium cardstock paper (index 105 lb.). I updated my HP printer drivers in the Device Manager settings, then ran a test on the HP Scan Doctor tool (using cardstock paper). It did print, however, it still wouldn't print the document I needed. I went ahead and restarted my computer after this process.

I opened my document again in PDF, then changed the paper type to thick plain paper instead of cardstock and adjusted my print quality to best.

I printed the document with the above settings on regular paper, then printed again on premium cardstock paper. It finally worked and looks great. Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.