Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M176n
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello there,

Our Color Laserjet Pro MFP M176n is stuck at initializing since the last time the yellow toner cartridge has been replaced. After the replacement of the cartridge, the toner carousel turned, started making loud clicking noises and then stopped. It does this after every startup. It seems like there's something that blocks the movement of the carousel, since i can't even move it manually like it's described in many other forum posts about similar issues. Is there a way to access the back of the carousel to see if there's something that blocks it from moving?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know @samuelm.

I don't see any other way of accessing the toners. The printer will need to be serviced. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
Hello @samuelm,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that after replacing the toner the carousel isn't moving and the printer is stuck initializing. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

I don't think you will be able to access the toners from the back door.

Are these the steps you used to manually move the carousel?
  • Open the scanner lid and the lid below that so you should see the toners.
  • On the left-hand side of the black frame, you will see an oval hole with a white plastic piece inside it.
  • You will need to use something to push down on the white plastic piece, at the same time push the carousel backwards, don't touch the toner, though. It has to be in the exact right position in order to be able to pull the toner out.
I included a picture with the general area, where to use the manual feature on the printer.

If the issue continues, please contact  HP Customer Support to find out what service or trade-in options are available. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" to thank me for my efforts! If this helps you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution". Keep me posted. Good Luck! 
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yes, these are exactly the steps i used to move the carousel manually. It has a bit of give in both ways, but gets  stuck on something.

HP Recommended

Thanks for letting me know @samuelm.

I don't see any other way of accessing the toners. The printer will need to be serviced. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for clarifying that.

HP Recommended
Please I have tried the steps but it's still stuck. How do I manually move the cartridges?
HP Recommended

If you have tried the steps above to manually move the carousel but it still won't move, the only way to solve the problem seems to be to contact your local HP Customer Support and have the device sent in. Mine was still in warranty, so i had it replaced within a week, even with the 3 toner cartridges i couldn't access anymore.

HP Recommended

pls help ... i need someone to guide me what to do .

HP Recommended

Hello @bvb0507. Have you tried the steps above described by @gemini02 to manually move the carousel? Did it work?

Is the machine still in warranty? If so, i'd send it in if i were you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.