Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

With my brand new HP DeskJet 3510 series, the wireless setup completes "successfully" on windows 7 x64. However, the first attempt to print -- even a test page -- immediately sends the printer offline. It won't go online again. But it prints fine wirelessly from a Mac. Any Ideas? I have tried all the diagnostic tools -- windows and HP. On hour 4 right now. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear neonskeleton,

Thank you for your help and direction. Knowing that MacAfee firewall settings could cause the symptoms I was seeing was the key to the resolution.

1) Launch McAfee Security Center(version 11.6)

2) Under Features, select Web and Email Protection

3) From the options that appear, choose Firewall.

4) From the options that appear, choose Internet Connections for Programs

5) From the options that appear, choose Spooler SubSystem App

6) With that item selected, choose Edit

7) Change "Access" to Outgoing
😎 Chooe Save, and then quitMcAfee

Hope this helps the next someone.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended
SomeoneSpecial, have you tried performing a network reset? Turn off your computer and unplug your printer and router. Plug your router back in and wait for the status lights to flash normally, then plug in and power on your printer and computer. This may stop your connection from timing out.

Are you not able to print from the windows computer at all right now? Try downloading and running the Print and Scan Doctor made by HP to help diagnose any possible issues.

http://goo.gl/JNmWF

Let me know if this helps!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response, but my problem is unchanged.

To summarize, I can print wirelessly from a Mac to my DeskJet 3510, but I cannot print wirelessly from my Windows 7 (x64) laptop because the printer immediately displays a status of offline in the printer control panel. (However,  I can use the Windows laptop to reach the printer's web page and print a test page from it, and I can use the Windows laptop to scan to the computer.) The HP Print and Scan Doctor app shows no problems and Windows troubleshooting communicates with the printer and then reports that the printer is turned off. The printer is *not* off because at any time during the long process I can print wirelessly from a Mac.

The step-by-step is this:

1) I reset my cable modem and my router

2) I restart my Windows computer and my Mac

3a) I reset the printer to factory settings.

3b) I run from a Mac the HP installer "Deskjet-3510-series-v12-2.23.dmg"

or

3c) I reset the printer to factory settings.

3d) I run from Windows 7 (x64) the  "DJ3510_1315.exe" downloaded today from the Internet.

4) In either case, I am informed the setup was successful.

5) In either case, I can print wirelessly from the Mac.

5) Initially after setup, the default printer " HP Deskjet 3510 series (Network)" displays a status of Ready.

6)  However, if I attempt to print to that printer on WIndows, or even go to the printer properties and print Test Page:

5a) The status goes to Printing.

5b) A message box says that a test page has been sent to the printer.

5c) An HP window flashes by, thanking me for using genuine HP inks, or some such, too quick to read.

5d) An HP window opens with the message "Unable to Communicate with Printer" -- The print job could not be completed because the printer is unavaible or not connected. Check your cable or wireless connection, and make sure the printer is powered on ... you might have an IP conflict ....

7) In this Unable to Communicate box, the options are Cancel Print or Help, and Help takes you to HP Print and Scan Doctor

😎 HP Print and Scan Doctor concludes that "Everything checks out okay with your product" and offers to print a test page.

😎 I choose "Test Print"

9) The test page does not print, and Windows continues to report a printer status of Offline.

10) I point my web browser to the printer (http://192.168.1.6), where the home page says the printer has a status of Ready.

11) I go to the Tools tab and successfully Print Self Test Page.

12) The test page says Network Status: Ready

13) I return to Windows' Control Panel > Devices and Printers, right-click on the printer and choose Troubleshooting

14) The troubleshooter deletes the pending print jobs (test pages) and concludes:

Printer is turned off. The printer needs to be turned on in order to print.  

15) At any time, I can print wirelssly from my Mac laptop.

Obviously, this is time consuming and I am close to returning the printer to the store.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

HP Recommended
SomeoneSpecial, sounds like there might be an internal conflict with the driver. There are a couple of things that could be happening. One solution, oddly enough this has worked before, is to uninstall Internet Explorer 9 (this won't actually uninstall IE9, but roll it back to IE8). Sometimes there can be an internal confusion caused by the browser's driver.

In the event that this does not work, we can try installing an alternate driver for the printer. Shane actually wrote a wonderful set of instructions on how to do this, and I will link you to those below.

http://goo.gl/zCk2r

Let me know if either of these solutions helps!
HP Recommended

Dear neoskeleton,

Unfortunately, changing the print driver did not affect my inability to print wirelessly from a Windows 7 computer.

If I connect the computer to the printer with a USB cable, I am able to print using the print driver that was installed by the HP software. Are you saying that the exact same print driver that works in a USB connection could have a different result when printing wirelessly?

I am loath to uninstall Internet Explorer on a hunch, when the recommended print driver *does* work, though through USB.

Are you saying you have seen my issue before -- where the printer goes offline immdiately after a print job is submitted, and where Windows troubleshooter connects to the printer and then reports the printer is turned off?

Or is changing the print-driver a catch-all solution for this issue, of which you have no direct specific knowledge?

Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended
When you installed the printer on your Windows 7 machine, did you install it over a USB cord or did you install in wirelessly?

The drivers for USB and for a wireless process data in very different ways, and if the printer has only been setup with over USB you will have to use the software and install another instance of the device as wireless.

Let me know!
HP Recommended

The first time ever, the software was installed for a wireless connection. The printer setup completed, reporting success on the Windows 7 computer, completely wirelessly. The USB cable was still in its package.

The first time I tried to print, the printer status went to offline. I subsequently ran through the entire setup with the USB option. I have uninstalled both printers and reset the factory setup on the printer multiple times. I can print to the printer with the USB cable connected, but not the wireless printer. I can even scan wirelessly from the printer to the Windows 7 computer. But I cannot print to it wirelessly.

Can you tell me if you have seen these symptoms before, or if the problem as I describe it is not fully understood?

Thank you.

HP Recommended
Honestly, SomeoneSpecial, the issue you are having is generally reversed. I have had a number of instances I have had customers who could print but couldn't scan. Generally, issues like that involved a firewall - either on the router or the computer.

Were you able to scan while you were connected through the USB cord?

My next question is, have you ever had antivirus or firewall software on your computer? This would also include any expired trial versions that may have come pre-installed on your computer.
HP Recommended

Yes, I am able to scan while connected through the USB cable. I scan by going to the URL for the printer in my browser. Note also that I can print a test page wirelessly from my Windows computer by going to the URL from the printer.

I just cannot print wirelessly to the printer.

Yes, I have MacAfee on this computer. It is the only antivirus software that has ever been on this computer, which came preinstalled from Dell. This laptop used to print to a Canon printer wirelessly just fine, before that printer died. MacAfee reports no issues, problems or viruses. What would the follow-up recommendation be if I said I had no antivrus, or several antivirus programs?

I checked my windows firewall and saw eight instances of HPSAPS (HPDiagnosticCoreUI.exe). I removed them, to no effect.

Other enabled programs in Windows Firewall include: HP Device Setup (HP Deskjet 3510 series); HP Network Communicator (HP Deskjet 3510 series); HP Network Communicator COM  (HP Deskjet 3510 series).

Is there anyone else working this forum with you whom you can share my information and might have seen this issue before? It's hard for me to believe that I am the only one who has experienced this difficulty.

Thanks you for your time.

HP Recommended
SomeoneSpecial, this is actually something I see fairly commonly with McAfee Antivirus, and it is part of how their software is written that the firewall blocks the ports for printing by default. Those ports will have to be opened.

First, let's try the steps outlined in the last post on this thread from the McAfee forums: http://goo.gl/4CqrH

This deals with a Canon printer, but these ports are printing specifically.

If not, I will find the specific port numbers and you can contact McAfee to open them.

I hope this helps!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.