Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (268 Views)

Deskjet 2540 installation with Windows XP

Product Name: Deskjet 2540
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

Computer not completing the insallation using USB connection.

I get as far as the screen "USB connection in progress" but it goes no further.

I have tried loading from the supplied disc and also from a downloaded driver from HP. I am aware that the cable does not have to be connected until the prompt. Any ideas?

Roger

Retired
Message 2 of 2 (237 Views)

Re: Deskjet 2540 installation with Windows XP

Hi there @Roger6767,

Welcome to the HP Community!

I understand your Deskjet 2540 is not installing properly on your Windows XP system, and I wanted to reach out with my suggestions for you to try. In case there is something blocking the installation from completing successfully, below I included instructions on how to try a clean boot. A clean boot will turn off all start up programs and at that time, try running the installation to see if it will complete fully.

Before you try the clean boot, try making a copy from the printer itself. This will test out the hardware to make sure the printer is in good functioning order before you try troubleshooting the software. If the copies work fine, proceed with the clean boot.

Click this link to see the instructions on how to do a clean boot, restart the PC and run the installation: Clean Booting

Let me know what happens, good luck Smiley Happy

Click the thumbs up below to say "thanks" for my reply to help today!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation