Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I cannot believe I am posting this issue. As best I can tell this MFP M277dw will POWER off if not used in 8 hours. Thus you are not able to receive faxes, print, etc to the device unless someone manually powers up the device. This cannot be true!! For example, who would want a fax machine that cannot receive faxes until you power it back up. If this is true this is going back Bestbuy as soon as I confirm this "Auto-Off" / "Shut Down After Inactivity" cannot be disabled!!! Please confirm this stupid Auto-Off can be disabled!

I installed the most recent Firmware available.

Thank you in advance.

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @HPIssuesreal,

I wanted to make my suggestions for you in regards to your post about your LaserJet 277dw shutting down automatically. I have looked through the user manual for this unit, and I saw that if there are active ports, this will prevent the printer from shutting down. If you find there are ports active and the unit still shutting down, contact HP directly to inquire about a replacement unit. I will leave their contact information below for you.

fax.PNG

Show appreciation for my reply by hitting the thumbs up below, and hit the "Accept as Solution" button if I have assisted you to a resolution!

I hope this helps you!Smiley Happy

Contact HP:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number
Case number and phone number appear

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  I use hpeprint to send documents to this printer from remote locations and cannot afford to have it off.  The printer was connected wirelessly, but I just switched to wired.

DId having an active port fix the problem for you?

HP Recommended

I don't have a fax line nor it is connected to the wired network.

How do I disable the shutdown for a wireless connected printer?

Thanks,

Jose

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue, my printer is wireless only.  This has to be a bug, has anyone heard of the status of a fix?

HP Recommended

Agree.  Come on HP.  Just add an entry to disable shutdown, "never".

HP Recommended

This exactly. I just bought a new HP Printer with this stupid auto off that only allows 2 4 8 hr settings What the hell.  I can't receive a fax or print thing cause the printer turns off there needs to be a way to disable this.  

HP Recommended

I am having the same exact issue.  A customer purchased this for their home office upon my research and recommendation.  It is 100% wireless printer.  It does have a fax line connected but is rarely used.   The printer powers off after 8 hours of non-use, and they can't receive a fax or print a document unless you walk to the printer and power it back on!

What the heck kind of design is this, HP?  Your documentation states it has Auto Power Off/On.   Where is this mythical 'Power ON' feature located?

If I plug a loopback connector into the ethernet port, will it say powered on?

When will HP post an updated firmware to disable this worse-than-useless feature?

HP Recommended

@JRHelgeson wrote:

I am having the same exact issue.  A customer purchased this for their home office upon my research and recommendation.  It is 100% wireless printer.  It does have a fax line connected but is rarely used.   The printer powers off after 8 hours of non-use, and they can't receive a fax or print a document unless you walk to the printer and power it back on!

What the heck kind of design is this, HP?  Your documentation states it has Auto Power Off/On.   Where is this mythical 'Power ON' feature located?

If I plug a loopback connector into the ethernet port, will it say powered on?

When will HP post an updated firmware to disable this worse-than-useless feature?

Ridiculous isn't it.  Don't call support it's worthless I've tried several times and just get idiots.  This on top of the nightmare of an order process (22 phone calls before I received my printer damaged) has really ticked me off.  Don't try to speak to a supervisor either they don't seem to exist when you call all you ever get is over seas call centers and then they will email you to help you from an email account you can't respond to soooo rediculous.

I use to really like HP and their products but after this it's time to find a new favorite.

HP Recommended

Well - the only solution I can find is to return the printer.  It was purchased through Amazon, so that shoudn't be a problem.  It is being replaced with a Brother MFC-9330CDW.  The MFC-9340CDW supports duplex scanning, something the HP doesn't even support.  Goodbye HP, you've lost another customer forever.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.