Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

HP DV73028-CA

Windows 7 64bit 

Printer: Kodak Hero 5.1 Wireless

I swear I have tried every fix for this issue....I am completely stumped.

I have deleted ports, uninstalled, reinstalled, ran cleaners, spyware, virus....everything.

Does anyone have a fix for this issue.  Installed product software tried to connect through network recieve 0x000003eb error.

Connected through USB all drives for the printer (including scanner) install just fine, when gets down to the printer it fails.  

So now I have a scanner but still no printing abilities.  I decided to just delete all printers installed on my computer and may have found the issue but I cant fix it.  I have a canon selphy installed but for the name of the device it show the name of the printer that I am trying to install, so I am wondering if this is the conflict.  When I removed the printer and rebooted, it is still showing with pending deletion.  I tried to delete the port but says the resource is in use.  

I have been at this for 3 days....any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This printer is driving me crazy. I'll try EPSON next time.

Editing...

The HP Support is not much helpfull but it turned out to be a Windows issue.

What solved for me was:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/86cc6755-e245-46d7-9fb9-5f7d8f1b74a1/cannot...

This steps do work well for me.

Do them at your own risk.

Backup registry before you do anything!!!!

Stop "Print Spooler" service first

Then base on your platform delete all keys below the version-3
for 32 bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

for 64 bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3

go to the folder "3"
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
rename it to "3.old"

Start the "Print Spooler" again and install your printers

to start and stop the spooler service I started cmd.exe as administrator and typed NET STOP SPLOOER and NET START SPOOLER.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

bump.

Anyone?

HP Recommended

Hi

Steps I would suggest are:

2.      Try installing the basic drivers related to the printer, and check if the drivers get installed.

3.      Make sure you have logged in as the administrator of the computer and then try installing the driver

4. Try to install the printer in clean boot and check if that will resolve the issue. To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Steps to perform clean boot and check if you have the issue.

i.           Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

ii.         If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

iii.        On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

iv.        Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

v.          Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

vi.       Click OK.

vii.     When you are prompted, click Restart.

viii.   After the computer starts, Install the printer

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished installing, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

i.           Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

ii.         On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

The link given below for reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

5.         Unplug the external devices and then try to install the printer. Steps to install printer

Go to device manager and disable

i.           Sound card

ii.         Video  card

iii.       Network card

iv.       Modems

v.         Ports (serial and parallel)

6.         Check if the ‘Windows Installer’ service is set to Automatic

Steps to check if the service is set to Automatic

i.           Click Start and type services.msc in the search box

ii.         Search for the service Windows Installer

iii.       Right click on the service

iv.       If the service is stopped then Start the service

v.         Select Properties

vi.       And in the Start-up type select Automatic

Hope this information is helpful.

Let me know if this worked.

All the best!

Thanks and Regards:

Abhash

HP Recommended

Abhash,

Thank you for you reply, however I tried all of the above steps and I am still recieving the same error.  I tried contacting Kodak and they tried numerous things as well and advised me to contact the vendor for my computer. 

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Upon much searching around I discovered that the fix for this error is to...

1. Start Menu - type in printmanagement.msc and open the program

2. Scroll down to [Custom Filters] "All Drivers" or "Print Servers -> (Your Computer) -> Drivers"

3. Delete all printer drivers from old (and current) installs. 

Restart your computer and attempt to reinstall the drivers from the CD or from the .exe

Hope this helps you, it finally solved my problem without a wipe!

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Wow I had given up hope for this...I have tried something like this but I never deleted all of them.  I will try later this evening to see if it works.  

Thanks for the post!!

HP Recommended

Still no fix...:smileysad:

HP Recommended

This printer is driving me crazy. I'll try EPSON next time.

Editing...

The HP Support is not much helpfull but it turned out to be a Windows issue.

What solved for me was:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/86cc6755-e245-46d7-9fb9-5f7d8f1b74a1/cannot...

This steps do work well for me.

Do them at your own risk.

Backup registry before you do anything!!!!

Stop "Print Spooler" service first

Then base on your platform delete all keys below the version-3
for 32 bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

for 64 bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3

go to the folder "3"
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
rename it to "3.old"

Start the "Print Spooler" again and install your printers

to start and stop the spooler service I started cmd.exe as administrator and typed NET STOP SPLOOER and NET START SPOOLER.

HP Recommended

I got fed up with this issue and instead just did a clean install of windows which is what fixed it for me.  So I think is right with it being a Windows issue.  I haven't tried the steps above, but it seems the closest to a solution that I have seen so far. Thanks for the post!

HP Recommended

I had the same issue with an Elite 800 G1 to an OfficeJet AIO. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/86cc6755-e245-46d7-9fb9-5f7d8f1b74a1/cannot... did the trick. The only difference was I had to rename the 3 folder in the x64 directory.

Thanks for the heads up. I spent hours on this. Regards!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.