Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LJ P3015
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Morning,

I have this HP P3015 that is getting a 49.4C01 error and anything that I can find says that the firmware needs to be updated. So here is my problem, when I turn this device on it loads and goes straight to this error therefore I cannot get to any menus and also when I try to install firmware via USB and the FW untility the printer is no longer recognized at all when plugged into any pc. I tried using a Memory stick USB straight into the printer thinking that it would load from there after a restart but no luck. Can anyone assist with this please?

Mamcprinterguy

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

If you disconnect the printer from the computer and network and turn it on, does the error appear?  If it does, then you have an issue with the formatter and if you do a NVRAM reset and the error does not go away, then the formatter will need to be replaced.  If the error is not present when the printer is not connected to anything except power, then you need to remove any printjobs going to the printer and if not possible, connect the printer to another computer that is not attached to the network or has never been attached to the printer using usb and perform the firmware update.

HP Recommended

Thanks but i've already changed the formatter and the error still comes back. I also realized that upon powering on the device it usually does a motor test or some kind of test that makes noise for a few seconds. Even that doesnt happen anymore. I appreciate your your input.

HP Recommended

I want to really help you but you need to provide answers to questions in my previous post.  The error you are getting is a firmware error and can only happen with a bad formatter or a bad job that is trying to print.  That said in my first post I told you to disconnect everything but the power cord.  Did you do this and then turn on the printer and did it come to the error, yes or no?  If it did not come to the error, then you have a bad print job that is trying to print each time the computer connects to the printer either locally or via network.  If you have the error with nothing connected except power and you change the formatter, then you need to do the same thing.  Nothing connected.  If you still have the error with the new formatter and nothing connected, the only other item I can think of is the dc controller which contains the backup of the information on the formatter and needs to interact with the formatter.  You do not want to replace both the dc controller and the formatter at the same time.  In other words if installing a new formatter you want the old dc controller to write to the new formatter first and then change out the formatter which I think you have done.  You would then replace the dc controller which will have information written to it by the formatter.

HP Recommended

I'm also getting this error.  In my case, I tried to udpate the firmware using the easy update .exe file and then after this, I get the error 49.4c01.  I bought a used "working" formatter on ebay and replaced the one I have and I still get the error.  Is the DC controller same as the "engine controller"?  I see them on ebay so I'm wondering if I should try that.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Here is something I found that may help both of you.

HP LaserJet Enterprise P3015 Printer Series - 49.ff04 or 49.4c01 Error

Issue

The LaserJet P3015 printer boots directly to a 49.ff04 or 49.4c01 error. Use the following troubleshooting to resolve the issue.

Solution
  1. If the Issue is constant:

1. Disconnect the printer from the network and check if the printer boots to a READY state.

2. If the issue persists, perform a Cold Reset.

How to perform a Cold Reset:

1. Turn the product off.

2. Turn the product on. When the memory count begins, press and hold the OK button. Continue holding down the OKbutton until all three product control-panel lights flash once and then remain on. This might take up to 10 seconds.

3. After the message SELECT LANGUAGE appears on the display, press the button until COLD RESET is highlighted.

4. Press the OK button. The product performs a cold reset and then continues its power-on sequence.

5. Check all I/O settings and reset any customized product configuration values (such as the IP address).

3. If the issue persists Perform a HDD INIT.

How to perform a Hard Drive INIT:

NOTE: Hard disk initialization will erase and reformat the product's hard disk. Perform hard disk initialization only if an error code displays on the control panel indicating a hard disk specific error.
      1. Turn the product on.

2. As the product performs its power-on sequence, press and hold the Menubutton until all three lights on the control panel are lit.

3. Press the Back arrow. The message INITIALIZE DISK displays on the control panel.

4. Press the OK button. The product initializes the hard disk and continues the power-on sequence.

To isolate the HARD DRIVE ERROR printer has a SKIP DISK LOAD MENU option that can be used..

Steps to perform Skip disk-load:

When the power is turned on the product begins the power-on sequence. By performing a power-on bypass, you can cause the product to resume the power-on sequence but not to recognize the installed EIO hard disk. This can be helpful in isolating EIO hard-disk errors.

1. Turn the product off.

2. Turn the product on. When the memory count begins, press and hold the button. Continue holding down the button until all three product control-panel lights flash once and then remain on. This might take up to 10 seconds.

3. Press the button, and then press the Menu button.

4. Press the button or the button until SKIP DISK LOAD is highlighted.

5. Press the OK button. The product continues the power-on sequence but ignores an installed EIO hard disk.

4. If the issue still persists then follow the steps below to perform an NVRAM INIT:

CAUTION: Initializing NVRAM resets the serial number, the event log, the page counts, the calibration settings, and the EIO card. Use the SERVICE menu to restore the serial number and page counts. You also need to reconfigure any computers that print to this product as the network settings will have been reset to factory defaults. Initialize NVRAM only when absolutely necessary. In most situations, use a Cold Reset to reset product settings but still retain the needed values in the SERVICE menu.
      NOTE: Before performing a NVRAM initialization, print a menu map and a configuration page. Use the information on the configuration page to reset any customized product configuration values (such as the IP address) that the NVRAM initialization procedure changes. Take special not of the page count, service ID, and the serial number.

STEPS TO PERFORM NVRAM:

1. Turn the product off.

2. Remove any installed accessories.

3. Turn the product on. When the memory count begins, press and hold the Down arrow button until all three product control-panel lights flash once and then remain on. This might take up to 10 seconds.

4. Press the Up arrow button.

5. Press the Menu button. The message SKIP DISK LOAD displays on the Control Panel.

6. Press the Up arrow button until NVRAM INIT is highlighted.

7. Press OK. The product initializes NVRAM and then continues its power-on sequence.

5. If the issue still persists, print an Engine test page. If engine test page fails, proceed with ECU replacement.

Replace ECU and Formatter:

Formatter:

CE474-69001 Base Formatter PCA Exc (Only for base model).

CE475-69001 Network Formatter PCA Exc (Only for network models).

Engine controller (ECU):

RM1-6281-000CN Engine controller PCA assembly - For 110 V ac

RM1-6318-000CN Engine controller PCA assembly - For 220 V ac

6. If engine test page is successful. Check by bypassing the network and direct connect the product to a laptop and test.

7. Upgrade the firmware to the latest version and retest. Now connect the product to the network. Also change the network port to a new port and test.

8. If engine test page print ok and the error is on control panel display, replace only formatter.

HP Recommended

Thanks,

I've already tried the cold reset and NVRam reset earlier this week but I"ll try the rest of those tonight.

Crossing my fingers 🙂

HP Recommended

Keep in mind the most important part of the article is the engine test.  Attached are instructions on doing the engine test. If the engine test fails, then the ECU needs to be replaced since that is the cause of the error.  If the engine test passes it has to be the formatter and nothing else causing the error.

HP Recommended

Okay, I tried the Hard Drive init, the Skip Disk Load and the Engine Test and nothing worked.  I press the engine test button and nothing happens so I'm concluding that it's the ECU.  I'll plan on pickin one up on Ebay and try it out and post back.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Okay, it worked once I replaced the ECU card.  Thanks so much for the help!  

I posted a YouTube video that could help others: https://youtu.be/L2KToJMGpHI

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.