Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Unfortunately I still see the first message and I did check the firmware code to make sure it was the latest.
HP Recommended

May 6, 2016 this is still an issue.  Does HP monitor these?  Setup of new printer was very quick and easy with Mac (less than 5 minutes).  Tried to update firmware (I can see it is several months behind current version) from the printer touchscreen, but got message, "The printer is unable to connect to the service.  Check network connection."   Network connection is fine - direct CAT6 Ethernet cable connection to Airport Extreme router.   It is printing and scanning over this nework.  Also tried to download firmare updates from HP site.  Found the software for Mac for this model on the HP site and downloaded it, no problem.   Clicked on the DMG to open the installer and nothing appeared to happen at all.  Instructions on HP site indicate installer should open and provide usual install options.  Nothing.   

Nice new printer, great features, nice design, easy setup, but if I can't update the firmware, I may have problems down the road.  

HP Recommended

You can always go to HP support and download the latest firmware and manually update it.

I have a Windows 10 machine so I am not sure about Mac, but all you have to do is to add the printer in Windows 10 control panel, after it finish install, open the firmware update utility, make sure your M277dw is ready (touch the touchpad and wake it up), and click on update.

I flash it over wifi, so not even hardwire connection is required, pretty handy.

but I hope HP can fix this soon as well, I think all they have to do is to change their server side configuration, nothing we can do on our client side

HP Recommended

I expierence the exact same problem. I already updated multiple times in the last months using the update utility. I´m on version 20160331.

LaserJet update via printer touchscreen does not work, manually or automatically.

Any help from HP?

HP Recommended

+1 I bought printer yesterday. All goes well except update firmware on board, manually or automatic, only update via PC + cable.

HP, where are You?

HP Recommended
Yeah, I was the one who originally reported this issue and opened this topic. One of the forum people said it was fixed some months back but truly it wasn't and still isn't. I too can only update via cable which for the life of me I can't figure out why they have an option that doesn't work. Anyway, it's a pretty sad feature of the printer.
HP Recommended
Wait.... You guys did get it to update through a cable? Can you explain that process?
HP Recommended

Download properly software (PC or Mac) frow Hp support and connect Printer with USB cable. Run software and that's it. Update to 31.03.2016.

But it's a palliative, I bought it because it said "auto update" and for the moment it is not true,

Please someone from HP say something!

HP Recommended

Don't update the firmware!  Mine downloaded last weekend and now the printer won't accept my reman black toner cartridge!  Trying desperately to revert back to the older firmware.  You have been warned!!!

HP Recommended

Forgot to update this -- was able to get update to work via software downoad from HP website, and printer has been working nicely for several months with our Macs and Airport Express router.   To my knowledge, the automatic firmware update option on the printer itself still doesn't work,  but I don't believe there has been a firmware update since the March 2016 update. 

This is a very nice printer, and in my opinion a very good value.  One issue we have had is that the printer goes to sleep, and takes a short while to wake up when you are printing something.  I haven't timed it, but I would guess it is sometimes 20 seconds before it starts printing, then itt prints fast and very quietly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.