Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I couldn't find anyone else who had solved this, so I'll post how I solved this.

Summary: Relative has this printer, had a major paper jam, and when she removed the paper (in a not so gentle manner, I'm sure), the printer would fail to print.

Symptoms of printing efforts:

- Print Carriage mechanism would not move, or would slam to each side of the printer several times

- Would eventually complain with error: "print carriage cannot move" and code 0x610000f6

I ran through the complete set of recommended ways to fix this found on multiple pages on hp.com (6 steps, I believe).

Here is what the problem was:

- The carriage mechanism rides on a bar, is pulled back and forth by a rubber belt in the back of it, and it runs over a plastic ribbon that goes through the mechanism.

- The plastic ribbon is an optically encoded (I believe) map that tells the printer cartridge where it is when it moves back and forth

- When I first examined the printer, I noticed that the plastic ribbon was twisted to a horizontal configuration on one side of the carriage, and entered into the carriage vertically oriented on the other side.

- I hypothesized that it had been stressed by the removal of paper and was no longer running over its optical sensor

- I popped the ribbon back into a vertical position, but the printing efforts still failed in the same way

- I noticed that the ribbon was NOT actually brushing against the dust brushes on each side of the carriage, so I hypothesized that it was OUTSIDE of a slot in which it needed to pass for the optical reading to work

Here is how I fixed this:

- Unplug the printer

- Open the top panel and the printer cartridge replacement panels

- On the far side of the carriage sliding area is a pop out panel of the panel that resides above the printing panel

- Reach under the left side of this pop out panel and push the tab to the left to release the tab that holds the panel in place

- Arrange the carriage so that you can remove all of the print cartridges, and remove them

- Slide the carriage mechanism to the spot under the pop out panel you removed

- Get a hand mirror and angle it so you can see the 6 things (two tubes, 4 ribbon cables) that plug into the back of the carriage.

- There are two springs near the top of the carriage that hold housing of the cartridges in place.  Look carefully to identify the tabs that connect to both ends of each spring.

- Remove these two springs by lifting them off of their upper plastic hooks.  Note that there are some white tubes that also pass through the loops of these two springs.  I think these are air tubes, so don't puncture them.  If you can't get the springs off of the hooks (like I couldn't), you can lift the top off and turn it vertically towards the back, and the springs will pop off of the hooks

- Don't pull out the part too far.  The more you pull, the more things you'll have to reattach.

- Rotate this part up towards the back so you can see the BACK side of this cartridge with the electronics.  You'll see a little black plastic tab that comes down and creates a slot through which the plastic ribbon should feed.

- gently replace the part so that the plastic ribbon can be fed into the slot created by this tab.

- When the part is back in place with the carriage mechanism, you should see the plastic film pressing well into the dust brushes on each side of the carriage.  If the plastic ribbon is not pressing into the dust brushes, you have missed getting the ribbon into this tab.

- Once you are convinced that the tab is back over the ribbon, you need to reconnect any of the parts that came loose when moving this part of the carriage.  You have potentially 6 parts to reconnect: 2 white hoses, 2 thin ribbon cables, 2 wide ribbon cables.  Double check that the air hoses are pushed far enough onto their black pipes.

- For each spring, make sure the bottom part latches onto the plastic tab near the bottom back of the carriage.

- Pull the top of the spring over the tab at the top.  (Make sure the tube remains in the loop.)  I used a paper clip with the end of it folded up to make a hook for grabbing the loop.

- When everything is connected, put back in the ink cartridges.

- Test print something, like printing a Printer Status Report from the front panel.

- If it prints, reattach the pop out panel.

- You may have to clean the print cartridges.  I had to do it 3 times, as I had left the ink out of the printer for about an hour.  (The manual recommends not more than 5 minutes, or the ink dries up.)

Good luck!

Henry Flurry

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Henry Flurry,

I am trying to go about fixing the HP 7610 error through your description but I am finding difficult to follow through. Could you please use pictures to describe how I can go about it?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Egads - re-reading those directions now - I can see why!

That printer is long gone, so I can offer no photos for you.  Good luck!!!

Cheers,

Henry

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.