Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP 177
macOS 10.12 Sierra

We just purchased the HP LaserJet Pro MFP 177. In printing the same photo, when printed from my iMac, it prints fine. But when printing the same photo from either my iPhone 6s or iPad Pro, horizontal lines appear across the image in regular intervals. They are like grid lines, starting with purple, then gray, then black, spaced evenly across the image. I have checked the iPhone and iPad to see if there are print settings I can change, and there doesn't appear to be. This never occurred with our old Cannon InkJet printer. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Sharon19501,

I am  @Davidsmp. It looks like you were interacting with @Sizzlingsum_13. As she is out of the office today, I'll take over from here.

Brilliant job to resolve the issue. superb effort. Kudos to you for a job brilliantly done. I am really happy for you.

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

Take care and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Sharon19501,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are facing print quality issues with your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw while printing from iPhone or iPad.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Printing from Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod touch

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you, Rainbow 23, for responding to my inquiry.  I don't have a problem figuring out how to print, but this info that you directed me to does confirm that I really don't have any way to select print quality options when printing from either the iPhone 6s or my iPad pro.  Although, I'm not sure the problem being displayed is actualy a quality probem.  The resolution is fine - it's very clear except for the lines that the printer prints across the image about every quarter inch. I don't understand why it does that when the same image is printed from the phone or iPad when it doesn't include the lines when I print the same image from my iMac computer.  It does, however, print a full-page image when it comes from the computer and a smaller sized image when it comes from either the phone or iPad. From that it seems that it has to be some way that the HP Laser Printer interprets it that the old ink jet did not. I looked around for settings on the printer, but also didn't find anything there.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@Sharon19501

Thanks for the super quick reply. Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I recommend you to print in the regular paper from the iPhone and check if the issue persists?

If the issue is only with the photo printing, I request you to go through the following checklist and check if everything is taken care: Click here

Feel free to post again if there is anything else I can help you with, cheers:)

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, the  link takes me to photo printing from the iMac. That's not the problem.  It prints fine, and we are printing all of these on regular paper. It's photos my husband is taking of job sites and the problem areas he's addressing, so there is no need to print on photo paper.  So, all of the printing, from computer, iPhone or iPad are all being done on regular paper.

HP Recommended

Oh, and in case this isn't clear, the printing has no grid lines when the computer directs it to print. Only when it is either the iPhone or iPad directing the printer to print photos.  

HP Recommended

Hi@Sharon19501

Thank you for the detail description of the issue.

Appreciate your time and efforts.

HP printers work well with the HP AiO Printer Remote App, I request you to install the App and check if it fixes the print quality issue.

These solutions are explained in detail in this document: Click here

Please let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope that the issue gets resolved without hassles.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually, I was able to solve the problem by downloading the HP Eprint app on the iPhone and iPad.  That solved the issue! It seemed ovbious that it was a communication problem, yet when I went to the HP website, it indicated that my particular model was AirPrint compatible.  Guess not!  Thanks for your help in pointing me in that direction.

HP Recommended

Hi @Sharon19501,

I am  @Davidsmp. It looks like you were interacting with @Sizzlingsum_13. As she is out of the office today, I'll take over from here.

Brilliant job to resolve the issue. superb effort. Kudos to you for a job brilliantly done. I am really happy for you.

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

Take care and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.