Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 4050

My HP 4050 has been working great until recently. Lately,  It began producing a grinding sound during printing, and stopping printing with an error light is turned on demanding "attention". After opening it and closing, it starts printing for a few pages, then stops again, with the error light.  Does any one know what might be the problem?

Gabe3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds to me like the pickup rollers for the tray are worn since you are not getting a jam, just a failure to move the paper.  There are 2 rollers, pickup and separation and both are the same.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Sounds to me like the pickup rollers for the tray are worn since you are not getting a jam, just a failure to move the paper.  There are 2 rollers, pickup and separation and both are the same.

HP Recommended

After replaicing the pick up rollers, the grinding sound disappered. But, the problem of the printer stopping and starting continued, which I can live with until such time I buy another printer. 

However, now the problem is that the printer stopped working comletely. An error number 79.00 FE appears on the printer screen. Does any one know what that error number is for, and how to remedy it, if possible?

HP Recommended

The problem was resolved after I turned off the printer, and unlugged it, and plugged it again. 

HP Recommended

What you need to do is disconnect the printer from the computer or network and turn it off.  If it has a network card in the EIO slot remove it with the power off.  Now turn on the printer and see if it comes to ready and if it does, go to the information menu and see if you can print a config report.  If you can the probable cause of the error is the printer driver or the job you are trying to print has an issue causing the printer to fail. If using the pcl5 driver, try the postscript driver or vice versa. Try not to use the pcl 6 driver as that is known to have issues with this printer. Report back your results.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.