Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am running a Compaq Presario AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+, 2411MHz/1.93 GBs RAM, running Windows XP Home, SP3., with IE7 and everything is completely updated and patched.

I am the new owner of a HP Photosmart C5580 All-In-One.  It is working fine except I do notice that on a few times when I am booting Windows I get the following error message  listed in 'System' on my Event Viewer:

"The HP CUE Device Discovery Service hung on starting."

(1) Is this something I should be worried about?

(2) What actually is the HP CUE Device Discovery Service?

(3) Is it  something I could disable in 'Services' and suffer no ill effects?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

" ... Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too!"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
The "job" of that service is to identify all newly connected HP devices and configure them to be used with the HP Solution Center program. If this is the only HP device you'll use with this PC, then you can disable it from the Services list just like you disable any other service. don't forget to stop it first.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended
The "job" of that service is to identify all newly connected HP devices and configure them to be used with the HP Solution Center program. If this is the only HP device you'll use with this PC, then you can disable it from the Services list just like you disable any other service. don't forget to stop it first.
HP Recommended

DexterM,

Another fast response.  Thank you!

Sorry for my delay in acknowledging it but I have been doing some experimenting.

You were correct, I can disable the HP Cue DDS with no ill effects on my All-In-One in any way that I can see.

However, when I do this, I notice a new error under 'Services' on my Event Viewer:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service hpqddsvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{2C82180E-8C3C-4A1B-BEB1-B9140713E701}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Now if I set this service to 'Manual' the  DCOM error stops appearing and the service starts when I boot up the computer.

So, I guess this is the route I will take if you think it sounds okay.

This all brings me to another question though.  Since this service seems to be starting up manually anyway when I start Windows what is the difference whether it is set on 'automatic or manual'?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

HP Recommended
In Manual mode, the service wont start until YOU give the start command, and it wont end until you end it. and Im sure Automatic is self explainatory. i suggest you leave it Stopped and change it to Manual. that should be OK.
HP Recommended

Hi DexterM,

I hope I don't wear out my welcome here or with you but now I am getting confused.

I stopped  the HP CUE DDS and then set it to manual.  I then rebooted and then checked 'services' again and now it shows as 'started' again.

The good news is I don't seem to be getting any error messages in my event viewer.

Do you know what causes the HP CUE DDS to go from my 'stopped' setting to 'started' when I reboot?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

HP Recommended
i guess the application is starting it upon your PC startup. if it's working fine now, then i suggest you leave it like this.
HP Recommended

DexterM,

@DexterM wrote:
i guess the application is starting it upon your PC startup. if it's working fine now, then i suggest you leave it like this.

Consider it done! ...lol

You're right, I guess I should leave well enough alone.  For the record, setting the HP CUE DDS to manual seems to have gotten rid of the 'HP CUE DDS not starting' entry in the event viewer and the DCOM error too.

Once again I thank you for your prompt, courteous and excellent recommendations.

Have a great day!  :OpenSmile: 

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

HP Recommended

Hi Dexter,

I am also getting this same message: HP Cue discovery service hung on starting - but my computer locks up (freezes)during a cold boot and I have to shut it down (with the power switch) and restart. Sometimes it happens 2 or 3 times in a row. Could you please tell me each step to disable it? I'm using windows xp.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

1. Click on the start menu and click on 'Run', and then type 'services.msc' and press the Enter button.
2. In the Services window, look for HP CUE Device Discovery Service, and double click on it.
3. You should see a button labelled 'STOP'. click on that button.
4. Above this, you should find something which says 'Startup Type'. Change that to 'Disabled'
5. Click on the 'Apply' button and close all windows.

HP Recommended

Hi Dexter I have same problem

I have D7160 not connected to PC and use J4680 on my network

If I stop and disable this will I be able to use my printer as normal?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.