Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to set up the Scan to Network path on my HP Color LaserJet MFP M477fnw  and the set up option where it asks for my network path wont accept anything I type in.  I have an HP Pavillion PC and if I type in something like c:\ it doesnt even accept that.

I would think that this set up would allow you to simply go to your folders in File Explorer in Windows and pick a folder (like any other set up utility I've used).  This set up process is very frustrating for a seemingly simple task.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Thank you for your question! 

Please be aware that in order to be able to Scan to a network folder, the folder itself has to be shared with Everyone (when adding users) prior to add it in the printer configuration. 

Once you share it, use the Advance Sharing options to adjust permission levels to "Full Control" (in order to allow the printer to connect to the Folder).

When adding the Folder path to the printer, make sure to use a folder path format like this: \PC name or PC IP Address\\Folder name.

You will need to provide the printer with the Network Domain Name and computer username and password in order to connect to the folder. If you don't provide it with the credentials when setting up the folder, you will need to do it from the printer screen once you try to send a scanned job to the indicated folder. 

You can also test the Folder path when configuring it. If you get a "Successfull" message, the printer was able to comunicate with the folder; therefore finish up the wizard and apply the settings. 

If you still get an error code, I will recommend you to contact HP Phone Support to help you setting up the feature. 

Regards.

I am an HP Employee.
Kudos are highly appreciated if my advice was accurate!
HP Recommended

I'm going to try your suggestion below, however I 'm finding the scan feature to be the most un-user friendly scanner I've ever owned.  I've has scanners and other printers and they were are basically plug and play.  You plug them in, run the basic set up, it finds your PC and then its set.

The average person would never be able to figure this out and that is quite disappointing from a user experience perspective,

HP Recommended

I need an actual person to contact me from HP.  I cant scan anything to my PC whether it is connected via wi-fi or hardwired.  it really shouldnt be this hard.

The only way I can scan is to a USB drive pluuged into the printer which is annoying.

Printers should be automatically configured to connect and scan to the network they are on.  I have 1 PC connected via cable to the printer so this should not be brain surgery.

There must be something very simple that I'm not getting.

I just want to scan to my pc, that's it.

HP Recommended

I need the number for phone support please.

So far the scan feature of this printer is horrible.  All I am simply trying to do is scan a document from the printer into my PC.  It cant really be any simpler than this, however the printer does not even see my PC.  It is a simple home PC with no network so to speak (the printer is connected via wire to the PC).

The only way I can scan is to select the USB option, and then stick the USB into my PC which is annoying.  

There has to be an easy way to do this?!?!?

Can someone from HP help me resolve this or I am certain I will never buy another one of your products.

HP Recommended

Maybe I can make this very clear...can you please provide me with a phone number where I can speak to a person who can resolve this or I will never buy another HP product.  Thus far your customer service sucks.  Seriously, you sent me a 6 page document on how to scan from your printer to my PC?

Does anyone from HP actually read these questions???  

It should be real simple..I have a personal PC in my house, no real "network" since it's one PC.  I connected my printer to it and I AM able to print, so obviously the printer is smart enough to find my PC, however when I try to scan from the printer to my PC it doesnt even give me the option I need.  The only options are to scan to a network folder, a USB drive, or e-mail. Occasioanlly, there has been a "scan to PC" option, which would be the option I suspect I'm looking for, but when I select it and choose my PC it "prepares to scan" forever and does nothing.

Why is it so difficult to get someone from your company to resolve this?

If you dont resolve this I WILL be writing to the CEO of your company for a resolution.

HP Recommended

Any chance that anyone in HP can actually follow up on this issue.  PLease read my other posted comments on this thread if you need more clarity

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, the printerpage did not accept any path what so ever.

I made first a shared file (in my case on my Qnap NAS) then looked it up on a Windows PC using the standard windows file explorer and searching the file in the Network aera. Copy then the path showed on the top of window and paste it on the printer page (scan tab). I hope it can help you.

HP Recommended

To HP Tech:

I am a long time IT Engineer with lots of certifications and experience in IT (20 years).

I find it very disconcerting that HP (the vendor and manufacturer) is instructing for a Service account to have Full Control.  Why does a scanner require the ability to control permissions to a file it is creating?

The Modify permission 'should' be sufficient to accomplish the task of creating a file. 

This is very poor execution from a once great company.....this is why people are so upset at the sloppy programming and products.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.