01-30-2012 07:49 AM - edited 01-30-2012 07:50 AM
I was called out to a house a few days ago to setup a printer, which is generally a 15 minute job. However, in this case, I spent over an hour and a half working on the PC and printer, and could never get it to install. Here's some more information;
1. Laptop was a dell Inspirion with WIndows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
2. The printer was an HP Deskjet 3050A, It was new and I still had the original Driver CD.
3. Windows would detect the new hardware when I plugged it in, and try to automatically install the drivers. The drivers could not be found on the install CD manually, so I went to run the HP Setup wizard. When I did that, I would get to the second or third step where the HP Printer is supposed to be connected via USB. When I would connect the printer, nothing would happen. WIndows would detect that the printer was plugged in, but the HP setup wizard would not. I would choose the option that the Printer would be connected later, but then it would just tell me to run the wizard when it was connected, but since the HP install program never saw that it was connected, the drivers would never install.
I have looked around and I cannot find a regular zip file with the actual drivers themselves. I can only find the HP install program which doesn't work.
I tried installing the drivers in regular and safe mode, I removed the printer and let windows autodetect it several times, applied windows updates, disabled driver signature verification,even tried different USB cords and ports, and nothing has worked.
Does anyone know of a fix for this situation? Normally I would just get the actual driver files and force windows to use them without the HP install, but that doesn't seem to be an option.
04-18-2012 09:26 AM
If you are still having problems installing your HP Deskjet 3050A printer, can you try the follow?
1. Disconnect the printer from the PC.
2. Go to the Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a program
3. Uninstall the HP Deskjet 3050A software from the PC.
4. If the uninstall tells you to reboot the PC, reboot the PC.
5. Insert the CD that came with the printer (or download the Product Installation software from www.hp.com --> "Support & Drivers"), and run the Product Installation software.
6. Make sure you only connect the printer to the PC with the USB cable when prompted by the software installer.
I am an HP employee.
I am an HP employee.
* Click the KUDOS star on the left to say “thanks” for helping!
* Please mark a reply “Accept as Solution” if it solved your issue so others can find it.
12-23-2013 12:47 PM
I have the same problem installing the HP 3050A by USB to my desk top Windows 7. I tried your suggestion which comes right out of the HP booklet, page 5. I get a cd icon that says reading cd then changes to 3050A and right above is a picture of a lock. Does this mean the cd is somehow locked and won't install?
01-03-2014 02:35 PM
I understand you are unable to install the printer.
I will be happy to assist you with this.
The cd is locked so you can't burn anything to this disc. You must have it in a dvd drive. You should be able to right click the cd and run it.
I would turn off all start up programs to make sure there isn't something blocking the printer from installing.
Click on start, in search box type in run, enter, then type in msconfig, click OK.
Click the Services tab.
Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
Click Disable All, and then click OK.
Then click on the start up tab at the top.
Click on disable all.
Reboot the computer.
Turn off any antivirus software.
Download and run the software. Select your operating system, click next, select the full feature software and driver.
Then go back into msconfig and enable the All Microsoft Services and enable all on the start up tab. Turn the Antivirus software back on again.
If you need more assistance just let me know.
I work on behalf of HP
Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
- HP Printers - Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- HP Printers - After Windows 10 Upgrade, Printer Does Not Print
- HP Printers - Using Google Cloud Print with Your HP Printer
- HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)
- HP LaserJet Pro Printers and Multifunction Printers - HP Smart Install Discontinuation