Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Our new HP ENVY 5660 does not come with a Ethernet connection. I'd rather have the printer on the wired network. Can I simply buy an USB to Ethernet adapter to make the printer wired or is it not that easy? Or am I better off connecting to one  Mac by USB and sharing the printer? THanks for any feedback.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You could give either a try; however, connecting the USB to MAC and then sharing would obviously be easier and you wouldn't have to buy anything.  

Any particular reason for not wanting to use Wi-fi?   It slick and you could print from both the PC and Mac and cut out all the cords! :generic:

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

The printer tells me Wi-Fi is working, my Macs Wi-Fi is working, but the Mac cannot see the printer. It shouldn't be this hard. That is why I like plugging in an Ethernet cord.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you let me know the Mac version you are using.
Please use the below mentioned document to install the printer on wireless

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04326057

Most importantly make sure that the PC and printer are connected to 2.4ghz frequency if you are using a dual band router.
Make sure that the SSID and DG of the printer and Mac are same.

Also make sure that the router is fully Bonjour capable. if not you might have to try to add the printer using the IP address.

when you go to Print and Scan and click on the + symbol are you able to see the printer listed as Bonjour Multifunction.

let us know if this helps.

Thanks

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

We are Mac version 10.8.5. In fact I upgraded several Macs to that version to use this printer. The "Printer Share" option has worked for about a week, but now printed pages are getting held up in the "server" and the only way to get them to print in to the the printer on and off throughout the day. Very frustrating. If we can't get the wireless to work by Friday this is getting returned. 

HP Recommended

I'm having the same connectivity issues--the printer is connected to the network, so is the computer.  The printer is printing internal test pages fine, but the computer and the printer are not communicating.  HP Scan Doctor didn't help.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem MANY people have.  My MacBook Air just can't seem to find my HP ENVY 7640.  I am about to take the HP back.  It should NOT be necessary to download software and turn all the machinery off and on multiple times a day.

I have it now connected by usb and the MacBook can't find the printer.  It is also saying add paper - I've even added paper to the photo tray and that doesn't make that warning go away.

The Mac is connected and reads ink levels but won't print. 

Duh???? that is why I bought a printer. 

This is really annoying. 

All the solutions say re load software and start over???

I've done that.  Doesn't work.  I've got the printer plugged into the wall outlet.

Wireless also doesn't work.

I thought direct wiring would work and it doesn't work.

This is really a pain.

Can anyone really help me - doesn't anyone think that reloading and turning everything off and on multiple times a day is a "solution?" 

Welcome any help.

MAC-MP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.