Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CP5225DN
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The problem is such, the printer periodically throws out an error on the printing

PCL XL Error
Subsystem: JPEG
Error: InternalError 0xc8
File Name: Derived_src/lx55.ndbg.cheetraster.c
Line Number: 397

Doesn't print any more.

Updated internal software of the printer to the latest version. Tried to change drivers.
On a network of 6 machines which can print on it.
Where still to dig?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If the error is repeatable (i.e. exactly the same when reprinting the same document, using the same driver, to the same device), then it is likely that it is caused by a driver (or driver settings) fault.

There may be a more up-to-date driver available, or (depending on the printer model) you may perhaps be able to switch to a driver using a different Page Description Language(i.e. PCL5 or PostScript instead of PCL6 (the 'marketting' name for the PCL XL PDL)).

Note that HP has ceased production of the PCL5 variant of the Universal Printer Driver from Windows 10 onwards.

If the error(s) is/are random, they are much more likely to be the result of intermittent corruptions of the generated print stream between the workstation and the device (check cables, ports, switches, etc.).

With earlier generations of LaserJet printer, the format of the PCL XL error was slightly different (and conformed to the published language specification); e.g.:

PCL XL Error
  Subsystem: JPEG
  Error:     IllegalOperatorSequence
  Operator:  BeginImage
  Position:  173

With this information, it was possible to compare a (repeatable) error with an analysis of a print stream (captured using the 'print to file' option), and (sometimes) work out what was wrong with the operator at the given position (which indicated the count of operators up to and including the erroneous one), and hence (perhaps) to lead to a workaround.

With the current generation  of printers, and the revised error message format, the File Name and Line Number values are only meaningful if you have access to the firmware source code (i.e. HP and/or whoever they sub-contract to write the firmware).

HP Recommended

I have this exact same error. I have tried changing drivers, updating firmware, but it continues to print this error. I have noticed it only continues to print this error when the  network cable is plugged in. It prints it about every minute until it runs out of paper. Any suggestions on how/where to clear this error?

HP Recommended

Delete the print job that is causing the isue.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Hi - I have cleared all print queues on the server, reset the Printer Server spooler and also changed the IP address of the printer so clients can't connect to it. Is the spooled document somehow stuck in the internal printer queue when network is detected?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.