Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This problem just popped up from nowhere. the LaserJet prints (so it is connected), but when I run the basic HP Scan program, I get the error message that the scanner is not connected.  I have re-booted, and re-started the printer. I also downloaded and ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor. It detects the printer and the scanner as 'installed' but when I ask it to communicate with the scanner, it says that the 'selected product is not conencted'.  When I try the printer (same ip address), it detects it and gives me the option to 'Fix Printing' or 'Fix Scanning'. On 'Fix Scanning', it says 'establishing connection with Scanner', but then loops back to the beginning of the process, without success.  Now, this will blow your mind, if I go the Win-8 Metro screen and run the HP Scan and Capture program, the scan works perfectly (although this scan utility is more limited than the regular HP-Scan version). So, here I am trying to resolve a communication-connection problem, when none really exists.  Has anyone ever seen this situation? anyone got answers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've fought this problem since I purchased the color printer. I understand the printer is discontinued. I like it, I've got two, they work great, except for this problem.

Now my findings and solution.

After software installation, it works fine. After awhile it doesn't. Some of HP's installed software must get discarded by virus programs or gets over-written because it is gone, so the scanner doesn't scan. I still haven't found what happens to the scan software but it disappears.

My solution..  I remove all the HP 100 printer software, including the port data in the printer setup. If you've installed several times you will have a list of printer port information, delete it.

I use their basic install software. The scanner usually still won't scan. You must install it AGAIN, OVER the first install. It works every time, until it disappears again.

HP tech support has no clue on this issue. I've spent over seven hours talking to probably every tech they have with no success. They finally told me they would make me a 'deal' on a business printer.

Let me know if you find what zaps the HP installs. All I know is it disappears and the scanner stops working.

jm@rcs-1.com

Bob

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I paid the HP tech fees and spent over seven hours with six techs to get nowhere on this issue. One HP advanced tech support person told me to buy another printer. This is the first time I've had such terrible support for a HP product.

jm@rcs-1.com

HP Recommended

I am having exactly the same problem on this printer.  Has there been any resolution to date -- it's extremely frustrating?

HP Recommended

Have any solutions been found to help me get my scanner going again. I am on a 2011 Mac. with updated operating system. It prints just fine.  

I have always had to go into System Preferences to select a printer in the past. Not an easy way to get it to work.  All ideas welcome.   I am ready to go and buy a PC if I can't resolve this problem.  Patti

HP Recommended

I've fought this problem since I purchased the color printer. I understand the printer is discontinued. I like it, I've got two, they work great, except for this problem.

Now my findings and solution.

After software installation, it works fine. After awhile it doesn't. Some of HP's installed software must get discarded by virus programs or gets over-written because it is gone, so the scanner doesn't scan. I still haven't found what happens to the scan software but it disappears.

My solution..  I remove all the HP 100 printer software, including the port data in the printer setup. If you've installed several times you will have a list of printer port information, delete it.

I use their basic install software. The scanner usually still won't scan. You must install it AGAIN, OVER the first install. It works every time, until it disappears again.

HP tech support has no clue on this issue. I've spent over seven hours talking to probably every tech they have with no success. They finally told me they would make me a 'deal' on a business printer.

Let me know if you find what zaps the HP installs. All I know is it disappears and the scanner stops working.

jm@rcs-1.com

Bob

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.