Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm trying to add LaserJet 1020 to MacOSX 10.7 (Lion).

According to this page this printer is supported by Apple and its driver comes with OS. But when I'm adding the printer in the "Print & Scan" it says that the driver for this printer is NOT available from Apple.

Does anybody know how to use this printer on MacOSX?

Thanks,

Alexander

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The insistence on HP's part that the 1020 was never supported on Mac is utter poppycock. The Laserjet 1020 was advertised and sold as being Mac compatible. I bought mine from an authorized Mac dealer, and still have the original box with the "Mac Compatible" sticker on it. I've been running the 1020 with my iMac G5 for 5+ years and never had any support problems until I bought an OS X Lion iMac this past week. The refusal to support this product is nothing more than a money grab to force users to buy new equipment, despite owning an otherwise fully functional printer.

Luckily, you can run the 1020 on Lion using the 1022 driver. Follow the instructions at the top of the following link, and read the extra step for Lion in comment #63. Use the 1.3 1022 printer driver, and you should have no trouble getting your printer to work.

http://blog.jayway.com/2010/04/08/hp-laserjet-1020-in-snow-leopard/

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi Alexander,

by viewing the product specs, the model is actually supported by Windows only, it is not compatible with any Mac OS version

You may locate the information in the product specification:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00312638

the same information is available at the user manual as well, located at page 8:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00264334.pdf

Therefore you will not be able to install it on your Mac, it was never supported and unfortunately will not be so in the future.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the clarification. It is was not good news and now I'm a selling LaserJet 1020 which worked for me 5 years, but Kudos is yours 😉

I'm really disappointed how HP treats customers. Providing partial support for different models is ridiculous.

HP Recommended

The insistence on HP's part that the 1020 was never supported on Mac is utter poppycock. The Laserjet 1020 was advertised and sold as being Mac compatible. I bought mine from an authorized Mac dealer, and still have the original box with the "Mac Compatible" sticker on it. I've been running the 1020 with my iMac G5 for 5+ years and never had any support problems until I bought an OS X Lion iMac this past week. The refusal to support this product is nothing more than a money grab to force users to buy new equipment, despite owning an otherwise fully functional printer.

Luckily, you can run the 1020 on Lion using the 1022 driver. Follow the instructions at the top of the following link, and read the extra step for Lion in comment #63. Use the 1.3 1022 printer driver, and you should have no trouble getting your printer to work.

http://blog.jayway.com/2010/04/08/hp-laserjet-1020-in-snow-leopard/

HP Recommended

Thanks! You've made my day. HP 1020 is now operational on Lion, even over network via Time Capsule.

I've stopped selling my HP 1020 and cancelled a purchase of another printer. 😉 

HP Recommended

I am glad I found this thread on OS 10.7 and the HP1020/1022 printers.

And right, I have the 1022 and ran it for years as a network printer where I had the USB plug connected to an AirPOrt and 2 MacBooks and on iMac were using it quite well without problems.

THen I upgraded to OS 10.7 and a time capsule. HP1020 is now connected to the network via time capsule

My iMac with OS 10.4.2 is printing without problem

I cannot get it to function properly from the OS 10.7 MacBook Air.

After each print job from the 10.7 MacBookAir, the 3 lights flash in a pattern not indicated in the hp trouble shooting section

The Pattern is

Parallel Blinking of 1 and 3

1  BLINK

2 Off

3 Blink 

then

1  OFF

2 BLINK

3 Off

and then so on until you switch it off. Then it starts up beautifully again, one print job and the blinking lights go on again starts again.

Any ideas how to print on the HP 1022?

Thx!!!!!

LokeMAN

HP Recommended

THANK YOU! You have saved yet another 1020, and made me very happy.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information!

HP Recommended

Utter BS, see below.

HP Recommended
I can also confirm this works on Lion. At my mom's for Christmas, and she has had her 1020 sitting idly by in a closet since she got her iMac. A few minutes with this post and we are good to go! Thanks!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.