Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have not been able to configure scan to email on this device.

We have created a POP3 email account for the device with our local ISP ********@shaw.ca and have been attempting to use the following configuration settings:

Server name: mail.shaw.ca

Port No: 587

Enable SMTP SSL Protocol: Checked

Server requires authentication - Always use these credentials: Username: ******** Password: **********

Use this server for: Email: Send scanned documents and job status notifications.

When we attempt to send a test e-mail, we get the message: The operation failed. Please verify your configuration and try again.

We have attempted all variants including Port 25, disabling SSL, etc.  I can use the ISP's webmail to send and receive test email messages on this account from other devices.

Scratching my head.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I use Outlook email clients, but finally figured out it was the Port/SMTP Server settings that needed to be changed.

It occurred to me I already have a Xerox Phaser 6180 MFP-D in another location configured with scan to email capability using a similar Shaw email account.

Checking the settings on that device shows that it uses Port 25 and a different SMTP server (shawmail.cg.shawcable.net instead of mail.shaw.ca).  As it turns out, the latter SMTP server requires authentication and is used for mobile devices operating from various locations.  The former SMTP server still uses Port 25 and does not require authentication.

Once I imported these settings into the HP LaserJet ColorFlow M575 MFP configuration settings, I was able to successfully send a test message.  Problem solved!

Cheers,

Dave2U

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

>with our local ISP shaw.ca

Have they told you what settings to use?

>I can use the ISP's webmail to send and receive test email messages

That won't help.  You need a client based email like Windows Live (or Outlook).

If you can configure that and get it working, then try moving those settings to your printer.

HP Recommended

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I use Outlook email clients, but finally figured out it was the Port/SMTP Server settings that needed to be changed.

It occurred to me I already have a Xerox Phaser 6180 MFP-D in another location configured with scan to email capability using a similar Shaw email account.

Checking the settings on that device shows that it uses Port 25 and a different SMTP server (shawmail.cg.shawcable.net instead of mail.shaw.ca).  As it turns out, the latter SMTP server requires authentication and is used for mobile devices operating from various locations.  The former SMTP server still uses Port 25 and does not require authentication.

Once I imported these settings into the HP LaserJet ColorFlow M575 MFP configuration settings, I was able to successfully send a test message.  Problem solved!

Cheers,

Dave2U

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.