Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I am having some hard time with this printer right now. Every time I power on the printer, I keep getting this error message. I've tried to do a high level boot (cold boot, nvram init, skip disk load, etc) but it didn't fix the problem. According to what I've read on the internet, the next step would be to update the firmware. Problem is that I cannot update it, since the printer keeps getting into this error every single time I power it on. The firmware doesn't update when the printer shows the error and the network function doesn't work on low-med-high level boot either. I can't update it via USB since I do not have acces to any function to do so because of the error.

Is there any way to resolve this issue?

P.S. This thread has been moved from LaserJet to Multifunction and All-in-One - HP Forums moderator

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
If the error comes up without any interface cable connected to the unit, then most times the issue is the hard disk and it needs to be replaced.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

We had another m3035MFP laying around for spare parts in our inventory and I know for a fact that the disk inside this m3035MFP should work just fine, so I tried to replace the disk with the other one. Unfortunately, I have the same result. I still get the same error no matter what.

"49.FF09 - ERROR

TURN OFF THEN ON"

Any thought?

HP Recommended

Sooo...is the only fix a wooden baseball bat?  I'm having the same issues with the same printer.

Thanks,

Ryan

HP Recommended
First thing is to disconnect the printer from the computer or network and turn it on. If it comes to ready and you can print items from the admin menu, then the issue is a bad print job that is trying to print each time the printer comes to ready. Go to each computer and delete any print job. Also if unit is on a print server, go to the server and delete any jobs. Sometimes if lucky you can hit the cancel button when the printer comes out of initialization and can cancel the job causing the issue.
HP Recommended

Better late than never?

The error 49.ff09 can occur on many HP devices, and can have numerous causes.

A corrupt HDD or corrupt job is likely the cause, however, replacing the HDD might not be necessary.

A Cold Reset and Disk init might recover the drive to the point it is again functional.

However if you have swapped a drive from another device, this can cause irrecoverable errors, as the device uses both the formatter and HDD to backup data in the eventof a hardware fault.

The conflicting NVRAM data stored on either formatter or HDD can cause the 49.ff09 error to reoccur.

There is no way to clear the corrupted data from the formatter. However inserting a blank (compatible) HDD may allow the device to write to the HDD and boot to ready.

it is also possible the HDD overwrote data to the formatter and there is no way to fix this other than doing a virgin install and replacing both HDD & Formatter at the same time. This is NEVER recommended.

I'm an HP ITRC Veteran.
To help others find the solution, please click "Accept as Solution" if this post solved your issue. Click the "Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post as a "Thanks" for helping!

Did you know HP has HP Printer Support videos for common issues?
HP also has HP Advanced Support videos for Commercial Products!
HP Recommended

I am getting this error on boot up as well.  My printer/copier was functioning fine, but I wanted to be able to scan to email.  I connected to the embedded web server and was entering the SMTP address and I received a connection time out.  The printer seemed to be locked up (wouldn't respond on the touch screen) so I turned it off and back on again.  This is when I received the error after it rebooted.  I have tried everything the OP above did and it doesn't make a difference, the error still is there.  I also unplugged the hard drive completely from the formatter and it acts the same (tried rebooting without the formatter also).  I do not have a jet direct or any memory modules in my formatter, just the modem daughterboard.  There are not any removeable firmware chips on the formatter.  I have obvioulsy tried to reboot with and without any ethernet or any other cables connected (except for power)

Since I have found very little info on this issue (this topic is the one google keeps coming back to) I assume my only hope at this point is to replace the formatter.  I found one online at a resonable price and ordered it (it was a good price even if this isn't the issue I can probably sell it and get my money back). 

The used formatter I ordered does not come with hard drive.  Should I just try this new formatter with my current hard drive when it comes or do I risk messing up the new formatter?  Should I purchase a used (doubt there are are any new out there) generic 40gb 2.5" sata drive and use that with the new formatter (obviously this new drive will not have any existing HP specific data on it).

Any ideas what I could have done to this printer simply by accessing the EWS (it was the first time I ever used the EWS on this printer, I bought it referbbed a couple years ago and just used it as is except connecting it to my network to print to) and then rebooting it (so I dont' fry another formatter)?  I am assuming the printer was in the process of writing the new settings to memory and locked up and then I rebooted it and put it into some sort of firmware corrupted state?  Doesn't seem like it should be this tempermental. 

Any help from the guru's out there are much appreciated.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to come back here and post my results after installing the replacement formatter (Ebay $30 shipped).  I connected the hard drive from my old formatter to this replacement and reinstalled it into the M5035, booted it back up and it is working fine now.  No idea what caused the old one to fail still, but I was able to get this one right back up (all my old settings, network address, etc. was still the same) and also get the scan to email to work that I was trying to set up when the old formatter died. 

I would still like to know what happened to the old one (or if there is a way to flash the firmware on the old one by USB so I have a spare if this one decides to spontaniously croak?) if anyone in the know reads this at some point inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately there is no way to use a firmware flash to clear the NVRAM data on the old formatter which malfunctioned. I suspect it was corrupt data which resulted in the error to start with.

My apologies there is no way to recover the old formatter without sending it in for service, this model formatter does not accept USB connection for firmware flash.

I'm an HP ITRC Veteran.
To help others find the solution, please click "Accept as Solution" if this post solved your issue. Click the "Kudos Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post as a "Thanks" for helping!

Did you know HP has HP Printer Support videos for common issues?
HP also has HP Advanced Support videos for Commercial Products!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, printer is still going strong since I replaced that formatter.  Crazy that it broke that easily and there is no easy way to fix other than to buy a new formatter.  Luckily I was able to find a cheap used one when I needed it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.