Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good afternoon! I have had the HP Laserjet CP 1518ni for several years and have only used it hardwired to a Dell desktop in all the time I have had it.  I now have an additional Dell laptop computer and I would like to allow all the computers, iphones and ipads in my home to print wirelessly to the CP 1518 printer.  Both of the computers are running Windows 7. I also have an Ipad 4th Gen and my husband and I each have an Iphone 4. 

I have tried to "share" the printer through the desktop it is hard wire connected to, but that has never worked for me. Should I disconnect the printer from the desktop and connect it directly to the modem/router (it's a modem and router combination in one)?  We have a Motorola router/modem from Verizon Fios.

Thank you for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

That document is for the principles, the root of many cases.

Hope this makes sense.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Based on its specs, it has:

Standard connectivity : Hi-Speed USB 2.0, 10/100Base-TX with RJ45 connector

You can use a LAN cable to connect it to a wireless router and you can print it wirelessly. BUT to be able to use it for iPad, iPhone ..or mobile devices, you need your printer in the following list:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02814760

Hope this helps.

ps I can't find it in the list.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hey Dean! I really appreciate the reply. I can probably live without printing from the mobile devices. But definitely want to print from the two computers.

So, I would disconnect the printer from the hard wire to the desktop PC, and instead connect it directly to the Motorola Router?  Then what do I do?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes you then get something similar to this:

earth.png

The following manual will show you how to set things up:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00389927.pdf

Good luck.

BH

HP Recommended

Hey Dean - The attached document doesn't look like the printer I have. it looks like it is for an all in one, but I just have a laserjet.

HP Recommended

Hi,

That document is for the principles, the root of many cases.

Hope this makes sense.

BH

HP Recommended

It probably does but it is very over my head!

HP Recommended

I was trying for hours to figure out how to connect my MacBook Pro Retina running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 to my HP Color Laserjet CP1518ni.  I went to HP's Support sites- useless and a waste of time- they steered me to download a driver which I then loaded, and it did nothing.  I also tried loading the driver using the Apple Software Update- again didn't work; claimed there was no driver there to download.

Finally, I came to this thread and found that the following worked:  I plugged the printer into my Airport Extreme router, re-started everything, and Bingo- both the driver to use the printer on my wireless network AND the driver to just connect via a hard wire USB connection were there in my list of printers.

But c'mon HP- you've got to do better than expect customers to remain loyal if they need to use by guess and by golly routine to solve simple problems.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.