Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet P1006
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP laserjet P1006 printer stopped working after Windows 10 update.  After some reseach, I tried to uninstall the printer and hopefully reinstall to get it working.  I selected the printer on the Progams & Features page and selected uninstall, and followed the wizard to uninstall it.  The uninstall routine apparently is in a loop and continues to try and unistall, but cannot complete the cycle. (attempted for couple of hours in loop)  

If I bring up the printer in the control panel, the message says it's being deleted. How do I get this printer uninstalled so I can reinstall it.  I'm thinking there must be a work around on this. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @Paula_SBG, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues uninstalling printer from your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Try the steps recommended below.

See if the printer will print a hardware self-test.
While the printer is turned on, open and close the cover quickly five times.
It should print out a page with black lines on it.

With the printer still connected to the computer go back to the device manager and see what it shows listed for the printer. Example other devices, unknown device, under universal bus controllers does it show the USB printing support?
Let me know.

Try going into the computer, windows, program files or program files x86, hp, laserjet p1006 to see if it listed. If it is listed open the folder and run the full uninstall from there after disconnecting the USB cable.

Please update the printer software using this link.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I was able to get the printer to print the test page.

I then checked the Device Manager > printers > HP1006 > Device Status:  "Device is working correctly"

I also checked the USB Controllers > USB Printing Support:  Devise is working correctly"

I checked Control Panel > Devices & Printers > HP1006: Status still shows "Removing Device"

I went to computer > windows > Program Files (x86) > HP > Laserjet P1006.  I did not see anything about an 'uninstall' option.  I right clicked and notice a 'DELETE' option.  When I click that a dialogue box pops up with message:  "Are you sure you want to move this file to the Recycle Bin?"

Not sure if i was to use the 'Delete' option to uninstall the printer.  

Printer still does not work and has 3 documents in queue, and I am unable to delete them.  

HP Recommended

Hello, @Paula_SBG

Thanks for the update!

I see that you were working with @A4Apollo. I would like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

Try the steps below to completely remove the old printer files from your PC:

·         First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

·         Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

·         Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

·         Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

·         Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.

·         Now restart your computer again.

Now click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL21058/bi-55362-7/ljP1000_P1500-HB-pnp-win64-en.exe to install the LaserJet basic print drivers. Connect the USB cable if prompted.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

HP Dvortex, Thank you for your assistance, however this is the process that I initially tried to uninstall the printer, but I tried it again.

I did unplug the printer USB cable, and on the Program Features page I selected the one printer item available on the page.  When I 'uninstall' the device a pop up appears that says "Deleting driver files...  Set up is uninstalling your software.  Please wait"  The first time I tried this, I waited over 2 hours and it continues to try and uninstall.  This time I only waited 10 minutes as it apparently will not work.  I used the Task Manager to end the task.

So, now I'm back where I started.  I cannot uninstall the printer, and the printer thinks it's in the process of being uninstalled.  I need another way or path to uninstall this printer.

I did not go on to the following steps listed as I did not successfully complete the uninstall.  Please help!!

HP Recommended

Hello, @Paula_SBG

Appreciate your efforts!

Let's try to uninstall the printer program using the Microsoft tool. Go to http://hp.care/2dHImNI and select download to download the tool. In the File Download dialog box, click Run or Open, and then follow the steps in the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.