Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I solved the problem with a few simple steps.

1. Open the printer bay

2. Remove both ink Cartridges

3. Clean the area in the printer under the ink cartridges (it will have some drops if ink usually) use rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVING ALCOHOL OR SIMILAIE, I.E ANYTHING WITH ELECTROLITES.

4. Clean the cartridges by putting some alcohol on the cotton swab and going around where ink is smudges mainly above and below where the ink is dispersed. PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS WHNE HOLDING THE CARTRIDGES NOT TO TOUCH THE ORANGE AREA ESPECIALL THE ONE ON THE FRONT THAT IS HPW THE PRINTER COMPUNICATES WITH THE CARTRIDGE FOR IN DISPERSAL).

5. Wait for the alcohol to air dry, give it 5 minutes just in case, replace them back in and close the door.

Hope This Helps

Jester

HP Recommended

@NarcoticGravy wrote:

Hello all,

I solved the problem with a few simple steps.

1. Open the printer bay

... etc.

This kind of thing works in some cases.  In many, it doesn't.  My main concern is whether the printer's decline in usefulness is a sign to throw it out.  I have now been through several brands of printer, and in spite of the troubles recorded here, I have found HP the most reliable.  It has lasted two years now!  It's a pretty sad story, overall.

HP Recommended

When it comes to office printers and all in one printers its the most reliable I have tried many printers too. Its a total different game when you go into large format printers, and plotters, which I work on. With the HP, gives great quality but u really need to know the how to work with it especially if your printing on glossy paper and each brand differs.

HP Recommended

i have had my officejet 4500 since  Jan 2011, this is the only time it jammed on me. and I use very frequently.

HP Recommended

Printer stopped printing. Have the following message: HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot

HP Recommended

If you read back a few pages you will find many people have experienced this problem and some have found curious solutions. 

HP Recommended
My computer at work uses a 901xl print cartridge. I got an error the other day saying : black ink cartridge problem. Refer to manual. I had gotten a message two days before saying I was low on ink so I replaced it hoping that would fix the problem. No luck. I tried powering down and removing from the power supply. Any suggestions.
HP Recommended

Hi, I found the official HP answer here for my HP 5600, which appears to be a combination of trial and error of alot of other solutions already posted in this forum question.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00428054

I cleaned the cartridge copper heads with a coffee filter moistened slightly with filtered water (and reinstalled after letting it dry for 10 minutes); as well as unplugged the machine from an electrical outlet & unplugged the electrical cord from the back of the machine, then replugged into outlet and replugged cord into back of the printer. This seems to have worked for me.

HP Recommended

I installed my 901 tricolor print cartridge but alignment failed refer to troubleshoot in printer documentation. I carried out all troubleshoot procedures and re-installed but cartridge still failed to produce ink. Please advise.

HP Recommended

exactly me too so we cannot refill the cartridges  costco so much cheaper to refill 901xl 9.99 colored ink is so much more

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.