Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Handykc,

How far is the router from the printer?

What is the make and model of the router?

Run the diagnostic utility and report back to me with the error messages you receive?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02114802

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

So I have had my HP OJ Pro 8600 for a few months, it scanned in the beginning and now it won't.  I ran the scan diagnostic and the error message I am getting is "The HP Scan Diagnostic Utility was unable to find the HP Scan application software on your computer. If you want to scan using the HP Scan application software, you should re-install the HP product software from the CD, or download and install the latest full feature software and drivers package for your printer from hp.com(recommended).".  I have also uninstalled/reinstalled the software, etc., and spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME on the phone with tech support.  I am ready to chuck this thing out the window, I NEED my scanner to work.

HELP!!!!!

HP Recommended
FYI, my router (which is right next to my computer) is right next to the printer which is set up wirelessly, not via a cable.
HP Recommended

Hi chode13,

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:

1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files

2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition

3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure

4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:

1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.

2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.

4. 2 services should be listed.

5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.

7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.

8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.

9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.

10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error.

Check dependencies or sub dependencies:

Right click on WIA (Windows Imaging Acquisition) selecting first properties and then the dependencies tab. It should list: Remote Procedure Call RPC  and  Shell Harward Detection

Under RPC it will then list DCOM Service Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper Go back to the main services.msc list and then right click and start all the items listed as dependencies or sub dependencies under WIA

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks PCWizard, but it still isn't working.  On the scan diagnostic, everything gets the green checkmark except the HP Scan, is says it can't find the HP scan application software on my computer.  Is there anything else I can do?  If not, I am going to look into returning the printer.  I work from home and need my scanner to work.  Again, below is the error message I get when I do the scan diagnostic.

"The HP Scan Diagnostic Utility was unable to find the HP Scan application software on your computer. If you want to scan using the HP Scan application software, you should re-install the HP product software from the CD, or download and install the latest full feature software and drivers package for your printer from hp.com(recommended)."

HP Recommended

Hi chode13,

Uninstall the printer, and then reinstall it using the USB connection and the software at the link below. Let me know if you have the same issue when connected USB?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-97846-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I will have to go buy the cable since i don't have one, that is the whole reason i bought the printer so that i could use it wirelessly.  i will let you know how it worked after i get the cable, but i think if it isn't going to work wirelessly, i am just going to return it and buy one that will work.

Sorry, i know it isn't your fault it doesn't work, it is just very frustrating that you buy something for a specific reason based on what is advertised and then you don't get it.

HP Recommended

Hi chode13,

The only reason to connect it USB is to assist with isolating the issue. If it don't work USB then there may be a hardware issue or operating system issue we need to deal with.

Have you tired scanning from a different computer?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Here is what works for me:

Vista 64 bit, Officejet Pro 8500A

Click Start, type: services.rnsc
Hit Enter on your keyboard.

(SERVICES SCREEN)
Make sure Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is running.
If disabled: Right click and change to “Automatic”

WIA is dependent on other services, so you need to make sure these two are running:

Remote Procedure Call
Shell Hardware Detection (this is the one that reverts to “disabled” frequently for me)
If disabled: Right click and change to “Automatic”

Scanner should be recognized.

(Save these instructions so that if it quits working.)

Hope it works for you.

HP Recommended

I really would like to thank sdlayton for his perfect solution.

Bought my 8600 plus yesterday and everything went smooth except scanning to the one PC in my network that runs 7-64bit. Thank you sdlayton, it runs fine now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.