Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi @Ciara_B , can you check this out too? Thanks! 🙂

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Actually my HP Photosmart 5514 won't print black with 2 brand new cartridges that have been installed.  It's definitely NOT the cartridges.   (The color cartridges print beautifully.) That says it all.   I read the instructions suggested for cleaning the print heads, but my printer is on the list of those printers whose print heads are NOT REMOVEABLE.  Is there anyone out there who has figured out a way to clean the printheads on the non-removeable printhead printers.  This is very frustrating and my printer is out of warranty.  My last nerve has been plucked.  I'm planning to "cure it, or kill it" at this point, and possibly go "Office Space" with it!  Calgon .... take me away ! ! !  

HP Recommended

@JG34

Is the printer within warranty? You can check by entering the serial no. below...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/weInput?cc=ie&lc=en

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

@pat-i-cakes 

I'm going to send you a private message (check out envelope at top right)

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Oh please, send me the same private message, we're stuck as well. Same issue.

HP Recommended

Hello carolinatwo,

I understand you are not able to print in black ink on your HP Photosmart 5514, I would like you to complete the steps listed here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages.

If you complete ALL steps listed with no success please reply back with your warranty status: Check your Warranty here

I will watch for your reply.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

HevnlghHelP 

Thanks for yet another useless reply. I can't begin to describe my frustration here.

Believe me when I say anybody with a brain has already tried everything you all have to offer on this forum. Including the "steps below" that come straight off the HP website. I have tried them all, multiple times.

I remember when I bought the printer, so no, not under warranty any more.

I have also read a huge number of reviews of this printer. This is how it works: there is a finite number of prints/copies/etc it will make, and when that copy is done, the printer is done. How long that takes depends on how often one uses the printer.

My printer's time is up, and the problem is declared "solved" when I or one of your fellow experts says "Yeah, you're going to have to buy a new printer." I have bought a new printer. It is not an HP. Never again will it be an HP. So  . . . there you go. Thanks for everything.

HP Recommended

I completely understand your frustration, as stated in my recommendation 'If you have completed these steps with no success please let me know the warranty status'.

I am only trying to help, thank you for letting me know you are out of warranty. I have sent you a private message on the Forums, please go to your User page to the right of your Username you will see your inbox:

mail.PNG

Thanks again,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi. I am kind of glad to see I am not the only one with this issue, however, what I am reading in this thread is not very encouraging. I have completed all the steps in the troubleshooting guide provided in one of the earlier posts, and I tried to retrieve the warranty information about my printer but the system seems unable to find it. maybe because I bought this printer in Norway?

Be that as it may, I am still stuck with a printer that does not print black despite having put in brand new genuine black cartridge. 

Please, if you have any advice beyond what is already mentioned above, let me know.

And, I hasten to add that I even tried the advice to print out a "printer status report", which I am unable to read because the page came out with only the four colour bands at the bottom of the page, and no writing, because it does not print black! I am not sure who is the silliest, the person who suggested such a step in the problemsolving, or me, for actually trying to folow that advice 🙂

So, I really hope to hear from HP with a solution to this. 

HP Recommended

Hi JorunnHernes,

I appreciate all the troubleshooting efforts you have done already, I understand your frustration and would like to help you get this resolved. I have sent you a private message on the Forums, please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see your inbox.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.